FreeFly's direct drive gimbal...

Kari

We actually did the test with old servo based freefly gimbal handheld: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...9532466.-2207520000.1365189740&type=3&theater

Seriously you don't wan't to see the footage, the prop wash hitting to gimbal made the whole gimbal construction to shake and jitter. At that moment sitting there i understood it very well why cineflex bloody expensive :D But one thing i'm wondering, what changes FreeFly have done to the construction of the gimbal to make it rigid enough for red and even for alexa. For me the main problem carrying RED with Cinestar gimbal is not at all the servo drive but the whole gimbal construction is shaking and bending heavily. Is there some secret parts what makes it so expensive like 15K? I have already replaced the plastic clamps with aluminium and lot of other parts and it's better, but far from perfect yet.

ChrisViperM

It's already obsolete This thing is a grand including the camera, I can make the final image 5K or what ever you want it to be.View attachment 13877 The use of full frame sensor lenses like those used on the Red and the 5D's etc. are totally wrong for aerial work. Thats apart from the weight. The penny has not yet dropped has it.

Denny, where did you get these blue rubber-balls on your landing skids ??? Don't laugh now, but the only one I could find was a gag-ball in a sex-shop...running in circles

View attachment 10873

Attachments

• B926.jpg
    B926.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 362

BradM

It's already obsolete This thing is a grand including the camera, I can make the final image 5K or what ever you want it to be.View attachment 13877 The use of full frame sensor lenses like those used on the Red and the 5D's etc. are totally wrong for aerial work. Thats apart from the weight. The penny has not yet dropped has it.

ah yes

DennyR

Bold and old pilots do exist, so Big balls is probably more accurate. Ha, The only April fool is the one who still believes that 35 mm full frame is the way to go. You would need a 480 mm lens on a Red to match this level of zoom control. If you could lift it, it would not reach the required level of stability. When you get that right we will have auto tracking.:tennis:

Chris, Those blue balls came from a training gear from HK that was laying around. You could make something from Evo Rubber that will do the trick. Bonds well with clear Shoe Goo to carbon rod.

Last edited by a moderator:

DennyR

We actually did the test with old servo based freefly gimbal handheld: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...9532466.-2207520000.1365189740&type=3&theater

Seriously you don't wan't to see the footage, the prop wash hitting to gimbal made the whole gimbal construction to shake and jitter. At that moment sitting there i understood it very well why cineflex bloody expensive :D But one thing i'm wondering, what changes FreeFly have done to the construction of the gimbal to make it rigid enough for red and even for alexa. For me the main problem carrying RED with Cinestar gimbal is not at all the servo drive but the whole gimbal construction is shaking and bending heavily. Is there some secret parts what makes it so expensive like 15K? I have already replaced the plastic clamps with aluminium and lot of other parts and it's better, but far from perfect yet.
You have to keep the wind from the camera with a shield.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I was gonna ask how this does in a real heli. If it can fly at 400rpm that would be a real selling point for us. Cineflex is way to much for most. I think we could spring some $ if we could carry a medium camera with a decent zoom.

Kari

Yes and also next time i need to be sitting outside the copter on a cage to get enough clearance for framing. Then wind shielding is not easy thing to do, especially evaluating regulations.

@Tabb, is the movi gimbal construction overhauled for RED weights with all new connections/clamp mechanisms to get rid of flexing? CS gimbal is imo on the limits with weights like 3-4 kg.

Kari

Hi Guys, I was strapped to the front skid of the helicopter hand holding the MoVI for all the aerial shots in the MoVI short film. The gimbal worked great even in TOUGH conditions (snow, wind etc)

Kari - yes the gimbal is beefed up to handle bigger cameras.

Tabb

BradM

You would need a 480 mm lens on a Red to match this level of zoom control. If you could lift it, it would not reach the required level of stability. When you get that right we will have auto tracking.:tennis:

Would love to see the zoom in action ? I mean, some footage would be great to see :)

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
I still just dont get how a brushless motor with less than 1000 poles could achieve this accuracy with direct drive. Baffles me more and more. ???

Well, this is exactly why the BLGS works so well, and steppers do not. There are NO steps. There could be 4 poles and it would still work. The controller rotates the magnetic field in the motor over an infinitely variable range. Well, in reality I bet there are probably 1024 steps or something like that.

If they have used stepper motors then it is no surprise the cost is so high. Stepper motors have a high degree of resolution and are very expensive to make, often used in high precision medical instruments. I was under the impression the Zenmuse used stepper motors which is why they need 6s batteries to run them.

Really? Steppers are expensive?

http://www.robotshop.com/productinfo.aspx?pc=RB-Soy-14&lang=en-US

Also all you have to do is watch the new video from freefly and the cost is justified simply by that.

Well, it's true that they have the first production ready system capable of working with a big camera. But other than that, I don't see why it's better than other options. Of course it has Pan, but Pan will be available soon on the AlexMos system.

I might try knocking up a stepper motor solution to try, got a few high resolution ones kicking about. Advantage with them is lots of torque, but I doubt it will be that smooth.

Good luck. A lot of people have tried before. Unsuccessfully.

have to give them credit for the efforts. they've reached critical mass it seems, they've got the funds, the people, and the experience at this point to develop really nice products.

And still, plastic boom clamps?

Denny, where did you get these blue rubber-balls on your landing skids ??? Don't laugh now, but the only one I could find was a gag-ball in a sex-shop...running in circles

I actually found some really nice foam rubber balls, for street-hockey. I was able to drill them out undersize, so that they were a nice snug fit on a tube. Worked out really nice.

I think this is very true. For some operations, there's still a case to be made for a high torque servo driven gimbal with a BOSS camera.

Jodde73

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
Jodde, I agree... except.... None of those DIY builders are doing that with a RED. The Freefly is the first system effective on a camera of that size. So props to them for that.

But yes, it is strange to see so little discussion about AlexMos here. There's even less at HeliFreak.

I've got my AlexMos already, just waiting for motors.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
guys,

this thread is about the Freefly product. I usually ask that competing products and potential hijacks be taken up in new threads.

thanks,
bart

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
Sorry. Like I said, they are the first to have a product that will handle that size of camera, and they deserve to make however much money they can selling to the Pro industry at whatever price they want. I'm not the target market.