FreeFly's direct drive gimbal...

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Im just really curios to finally see the price on the DJI Gorpo gimbal. How much the brushless developments have impact on the price. The Alexmos and others have the 3 axis on the way and it will be interesting to see how big the difference will be and if price differences of 500 $ to 10000 $ can really be justified.

Of coarse the brushless gimbals that are popping up left and right based on alexmos boards lack features. Sliprings HDMI converters etc. and some of them in my eyes are wrong from a constructions side since they don't have any adjustment on the roll axis to work against the pendulum effect. Which is necessary to really balance the cam on the roll axis. Horizontally balance cam on the roll axis doesn't mean that it is balanced when it is in a 45 angel on the roll. This becomes especially crucial if the gimbal should be able to take different cams.

I am down with the developments on the freefly side since i know the guys know what they are doing. They will have to prove themselves though like all the other had to. Building frames and stepping over the gimabls and FCs is a whole other story especially when it comes to support side and finding out how many things can go wrong once on the hands of a customers.

Boris

Hey guys, Thanks for checking out our new gimbal! I think it will be a game changer. The ability to shoot with any camera, any lens and shoot at long focal lengths will open up all kinds of creative possibilities. I am not sure if you noticed in the video but we have zoom control on the gimbal and the shots varied from 28-85mm. I can only imagine the footage the community will be able to create, makes me excited to get out and shoot more. This gimbal was what I dreamed of having 5 years ago working full time in aerial cinematography, I cant tell you how fun it is to finally hold it in my hands.

Be sure to stop by at NAB and say hi, we will also have another big announcement coming later tonight!

Tabb

ChrisViperM

Checked the link, and while watching the 2nd movie and waiting for some MR stuff (which didn't come) .....it hit me, and reding the text more colsely:

A handheld 3-axis digital stabilized camera gimbal, so advanced, it redefines the possibilities for camera movement. The heart of the gimbal is Freefly’s proprietary high performance IMU and brushless direct drive system. The gimbal is 100% custom designed in-house by our engineering team. No compromises were made to accommodate off-the-shelf brushless motors, motor drives or IMUs. Creating the gimbal from scratch allowed Freefly to precisely execute our vision for the next generation of stabilized camera gimbals. In creating this camera gimbal, we aim to empower a new era of stabilized cinematography. Freefly MōVI – “The New Moving Picture.

So this one in the link is the MöVI M10, a handheld camera stabilizer....and that one in the vid posted by Ben for Multirotors is the MüVI MR.....just wondering if they are the same technology wise, or if they are that much different...being able to use the stabilizer for both Multis and handheld rigs would make it the most advanced thing possible...

Chris

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Checked the link, and while watching the 2nd movie and waiting for some MR stuff (which didn't come) .....it hit me, and reding the text more colsely:

So this one in the link is the MöVI M10, a handheld camera stabilizer....and that one in the vid posted by Ben for Multirotors is the MüVI MR.....just wondering if they are the same technology wise, or if they are that much different...being able to use the stabilizer for both Multis and handheld rigs would make it the most advanced thing possible...

Chris

Looks very similar from the mounting point down to the camera platform... http://freeflysystems.com/products/moviM10.php

Ken

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
at Canon RUmors this morning. Congrats Tabb. I think a number of us are wanting to hold it in our hands :)

http://www.canonrumors.com/2013/04/...umors/rss+(Canon+Rumors)&utm_content=FaceBook

he who hesitates is lost, as they say. i've had the components on my bench to make a hand-held stabilized gimbal for at least the last eight to twelve months and just haven't gotten around to putting it all together. was going to just convert an old heli gimbal and use a Hoverfly GIMBAL to control it initially. could still do it but now it looks like i'm copying them..... the demands on a hand-held will be much less than a heli-mount depending on the circumstances. here come the wedding vid gimbals!

it'll be interesting to see the cost of these new systems they're releasing. any hints yet?

jfro

Aerial Fun
From the vimeo comments which I don't know if official or conjecture.

$15K mid size
$7.5K small (DSLR)

Watching the new video this morning on my phone in bed, the first thing I thought of was hooking my Alexmos up to a new frame and running around with it. Would be nothing to design a hand held rig with some electronics to run around with a Hacked GH2 for flilm and video. I'm selling my steadicam rig to finance this new RC hobby of mine. Maybe I should go buy some lottery tickets and hang on to the Steadicam, or a least the vest anyway.

Can't wait for the next few months to figure out the Alexmos rigs for the GH2 weight class.

I have one now I'm playing with and it's a start.

ChrisViperM

could still do it but now it looks like i'm copying them.....

....or they are copying you...??? :tennis:

it'll be interesting to see the cost of these new systems they're releasing. any hints yet?

The entry level M5 is $7,500 and the mid level M10 is $15,000 (handheld)...so there is also a top-end to come ???

Chris

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
....or they are copying you...??? :tennis:

The entry level M5 is $7,500 and the mid level M10 is $15,000 (handheld)...so there is also a top-end to come ???

Chris

i suppose i could depose some of my close friends and associates to support my claims? :)

hjls3

im might be missing something - but i am sure hoping that the same rig could be handheld and MR mounted. with all the quick release stuff - that sure would be cool. Exciting times.

From what I'm reading, the M5 is built to hold up to 5 pounds, the M10 up to 10 pounds, and a M20 might be available down the road. Found the info here: http://blog.vincentlaforet.com/

Based on pictures, the multirotor version could be changed over to the handheld version by swapping some parts - landing gear to hand-grips. This is just my guess - we'll find out more as info is released for NAB.

DennyR

It's already obsolete This thing is a grand including the camera, I can make the final image 5K or what ever you want it to be.View attachment 10872 The use of full frame sensor lenses like those used on the Red and the 5D's etc. are totally wrong for aerial work. Thats apart from the weight. The penny has not yet dropped has it.

Attachments

• TDR Brushless.jpg
    TDR Brushless.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 316
Last edited by a moderator:

tstrike

pendejo grande
From what I'm reading, the M5 is built to hold up to 5 pounds, the M10 up to 10 pounds, and a M20 might be available down the road. Found the info here: http://blog.vincentlaforet.com/

Based on pictures, the multirotor version could be changed over to the handheld version by swapping some parts - landing gear to hand-grips. This is just my guess - we'll find out more as info is released for NAB.

The thing is, Leforet's followers aren't the guys who'll go out and spend the money on this system, they're the guys that'll suck up all the AlexM boards and Ipower rewinds and do it on the cheap. Is this a sign we've reached the saturation point in MC's when one of the leading MR manufacturer's is moving into ground based equipment?

leemann

Tabb any idea how easy it will be to adapt this for air and ground?

Last edited by a moderator:

leemann

Perfect! So if I want to put it on the Cinestar HL and for ground which one would I order? or will there be conversion kits?

tstrike

pendejo grande
Tabb does this have an adapter that'll mate up with 15mm standard rods or any kind of industry standard mounts?