Freefly MöVI and AlexMos 32 bit now with AUTOTUNE......

ChrisViperM

After downloding the latest firmware from Freefly for my MöVI M5 and realizing it has an "Autotune" feature, I discovered the same with the latest firmware from AlexMos (2.42b6 for all 32bit boards) : http://www.basecamelectronics.com/downloads/32bit/

Although the Autotune works great on the MöVI, it was not really necessary, since that gimbal is really easy to tune, completely opposite to all previous AlexMos firmwares.....it was the hell of a pain in the butt to tune any gimbal with that damn AlexMos software. Just downloaded the new firmware, will play arround with it later.
Even if it doesn't tune the gimbal 100%, it should give a good starting point for fine-tuning.....fingers crossed.

Here are some videos showing Autotune on the Alexmos in action:

Footage looks promising:

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:

SMP

Saw that too Chris but haven't tried it yet. Would love to see it work. Learning to tune the bloody things has been a painful, time consuming process...

Quinton

I downloaded the m5 latest firmware and see that if you use 70% autotune it seems to get it really good, (although still need to drop pan % slightly after it) but it gets roll tilt perfect.
Noticed a few other options now in latest firmware like pan/tilt stiffness, not sure what that is yet and I can't post anything on Freefly forums as it says I may be a spammer, even though never posted there.

Vortex

I started off with the 8 bit BGC followed by the 32bit and finally the 32 bit with 2 IMUs. In the beginning with the 8 bit it was terribly frustrating to tune but the 32 bit is a lot better and since the last 2 firmware revisions it is now much, much easier to get a rock steady and strong hold on the gimbal. Add a frame IMU and the whole system works incredibly well.

When the latest firmware was released I loaded it up and went about seeing what the Autotune did differently compared to my manual settings. What I found was that the gimbal was not as happy as it was previously and was constantly humming and had a high frequency vibration which got terrible when moving the gimbal around to the point it would have been useless for video work. The PIDs were much higher than what I have previously set to the tune of around 3x on all of them.

I decided to go back to my original settings and the gimbal seems to be more stable so the improvements with the new firmware is definitely an advantage. As for Autotune......It hasn't worked for me but others have had great results.

SMP

Concur, I've found the 32 bit much more consistent as well. Gasp - Am even getting decent results with an AV200 IDD/Nex7 using it (cue apocalypse) - The next question is will Samurs Phobotics controller work as advertised, if so...

Over this last year, we got so tired of chasing gimbals we now spend more time educating Clients about realistic expectations and decent editing than 1000% stabilization.

ChrisViperM

I am telling you, I spent more time on this damn Alexmos boards than having fun in my bedroom.....8bit, 32bit, you name it. I can't find any logic behind the setting procedure. One time it works with a specific setting....take the camera off - put it on again, and you start all over again.....mostly with complete different settings. Same happens with Autotune....but with Autotune settings are waaaay different than with manual settings, but with the same result/performance. So let's see what Phobotic comes up with.....

Chris

vrso2

well, i started with 8 bit and now have latest 32bit but...

Autotune is working weird. All values are way too high. Also, it getting small vibrations (can feel by touching motors).

Tune 8 bit takes me 10 min. Sure, it is, but only because i have so many previous settings saved...

Set 32bit first time took me 3 hours... Sorry guys, but i couldn't believe it that possible...

I see no big difference between 32bit and 8bit. is it faster? Hmmm, hard to tell. I did only one testing flight ... All worked well, i would say, same as 8bit.

And different i noticed ? Yes, thanx two sensors i can now do crazy angles without oscillating problems.

i have small HHLD gimbal for DSLR, bigger one for heavy cameras and one for my octo. All works great, but again, i would lie if i tell, there is BIG differences btw 8 and 32bit

BTW, here is few settings for my 8bit alexmos. its not most up to date, there is missing 32bit versions and couple more 8bit settings. https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/116792922052207517586/albums/6049612757545134001

Last edited by a moderator: