FPV Racing group forming in northern New Jersey (maybe)

Steve_in_NJ

I fly quads, and have joined my local old-school model airplane club. My first quad is set up for AP; not built for the rough-and-tumble of FPV racing. I joined the club because I wanted to have a place to go where I didn't have to wonder if I was going to get booted out by some authority or another, or worse.

Recently I brought up the idea of setting up an FPV course on part of the club's 22 acre field. This is a privately owned space surrounded by more acres of woods - fabulous. Not terribly interesting in terms of aerial photography (just grass and woods), but a fantastic spot to set up a course. The club is wary of multirotors in general, but is open to the idea. The field is in Morris County.

The catch (if you choose to call it that) is that you need to be a member of the club ($), and to be a member of the club, you need to be an AMA member ($). The AMA membership gets you liability insurance in case there's an unfortunate incident of some sort, among other things. The club dues pay to maintain the field and the dirt road that goes through it in a semi-parklike condition.

The club is very intent on complying with AMA guideelines, but having said that there is still room for FPV racing. Anyone watching the races that's not wearing goggles is by default a spotter. Besides, flying 6 feet off the ground around a set course doesn't really lend itself to disapearing over the horizon!

So, who's interested? If you want to see the field, check out this video I shot...

Trying out RAMAC's new flying field (5 min 5 sec)

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
i think you guys need to get this going and make it our reason for living!

but where the heck is succasunna? did i even spell it right?

HeliBarney

I'm in Randolph… interested as well. Still waiting for the xBirds to be in stock to build my first 250 FPV!

Bartman

was just on a phone call regarding FPV racing.....we must get our collective sh*t together and get moving! lol

just found out i've got to do a scouting function on the 14th with my son so I may not be able to make it to the NYCDUG meet up in Orange, NY. If I can make it I'll probably be late.

Would the 22nd work for you guys?

HeliBarney

I'm potentially available but my schedule is determined by my kids sports! However, I'm not going to be flying anything besides my 350QX until I can pull the trigger and do the 250 build.

Bartman

was able to move my schedule around some and have the last weekend in March off......

so let's do this, Saturday or Sunday? We'll get together, fly whatever you bring, I'll bring the FPV racer I built so we can see what we're talking about and we'll try to help anyone along that is coming into this cold.

Saturday or Sunday and we'll make plans and stick to them this time!
Bart

Guys -

I haven't heard anything from this group in a while!

FYI - we've set up a new meet-up. www.meetup.com/njdrone

It's basically the NJ Chapter of the NYCDUG. We've got 4 Fly-in's setup and we're starting to think through a racing league. For those in this group that are good racers, builders, etc., we'd love to have you join the group.

We've got a fly-in on Saturday if you are around.

Eric

Bartman

there's another meet-up group in NJ that I posted yesterday, NJDUG for NJ drone user group

i linked to the group in the other nj thread. i'm swamped (house for sale & moving end of may, rc events to attend, travel for work, product reviews, kids' activities, etc. etc.) so thanks for moving this along.