FPV Newb setup

Ok, so brand new to FPV. Have no idea what i'm doing with FPV. Just finished a successful 450 build (thanks bart) and trying the next challenge.

This is going on my 550 (transmitting video signal back to a monitor with a built in receiver)

Question, do I solder the positive and negative directly to a + - on my lower board, or will that fry this thing? There's no info on the box as far as voltage it needs and don't want to assume there's a built in voltage regulator.

I bought these items from Aerial Media Pros:

http://aerialmediapros.com/store/na...a-m-v2-wgps-combo-with-iosd-mini-and-btu.html
http://aerialmediapros.com/store/fpv-items/404-32-ch-58-ghz-digital-tx-600mw.html
http://aerialmediapros.com/store/fpv-items/384-7-monitor-w-built-in-diversity-receiver.html

Instructions are pretty weak, even on the DJI site. Can anyone point me in the right direction as far an an install?

Thanks

View attachment 16916

Attachments

• -1.jpg
    -1.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 105
Last edited by a moderator:

chipwich

If you are running a 3s pack and that is a 12v camera, you'll be OK. But if it is a 5v camera, you'll need a step down regulator. Fat Shark has one that will run off of your balance lead that will minimize soldering. BTW, the Mini iOSD is sweet. You will need to solder the video output from the VTX inline with the cables coming out of the OSD. Follow the diagram from the Mini iOSD manual. There is a pretty clear view of the cable colors. There are also some YouTube videos that show this. The wires are small so thin solder is your friend.

chipwich

That VTX is sold at many places including getfpv. It says 3s recommended but can operate on everything from 2s-4s according to their web site.

The aerial media pros build vid shows them using a voltage regulator as not to fry the transmitter. Can you post up a link to the vtx specs you found?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
I'm using a gopro 3+. Thanks chipwhicj

Does this mean you are using the GoPro as your FPV flight camera? If the answer is yes then you need to read up with the problems you will have when the GoPro shuts down, far, far better to use a dedicated FPV camera.

Cheers

Pete

Does this mean you are using the GoPro as your FPV flight camera? If the answer is yes then you need to read up with the problems you will have when the GoPro shuts down, far, far better to use a dedicated FPV camera.

Cheers

Pete

Thanks Pete, I was going to. I really want to "see" exactly what I will be recording. I guess, I could make it close enough, but helpful for framing and making sure I'm recording what I need to. How to folks deal with those issues?

chipwich

The aerial media pros build vid shows them using a voltage regulator as not to fry the transmitter. Can you post up a link to the vtx specs you found?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sure: http://www.getfpv.com/5-8ghz-32ch-a-v-600mw-transmitter-ts832.html It's in the first line of the specs section. If it bothers you, you should contact AMP and get their take on it. They might have a good reason, like running it on rigs using higher than 16v, like a 6S pack.

As far as running the GoPro for your fpv camera, PeteDee is correct in that most people choose to run a separate VTX and use either a camera switch or separate VTX for the camera operator. However, some people think it worth the risk, usually flying in a LOS environment or on lightweight rigs. In fact the flitetest guys all say that they use their GoPros for fpv. But then they can afford to lose one once in a while. My personal experience has been good since I moved from the Hero2 to Hero3. And with the Hero2, what usually happened was that it stopped recording, but still passed video. I can't think of one lockup with the H3 / FatShark combo. I run mostly NAZA so the risk is minimized with the RTH feature. Lose video, hit the failsafe switch. Anyway, there is a lot to consider, and you almost have to get out there, try some different radios, cameras, transmitters, etc. to see what works for you. No matter which way you go, you are bound to modify it with time.

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
Thanks Pete, I was going to. I really want to "see" exactly what I will be recording. I guess, I could make it close enough, but helpful for framing and making sure I'm recording what I need to. How to folks deal with those issues?

A video switch will let you look through the GoPro to frame the shot, my Disco Pro has one built in, very nice to be able to switch.

Sure: http://www.getfpv.com/5-8ghz-32ch-a-v-600mw-transmitter-ts832.html It's in the first line of the specs section. If it bothers you, you should contact AMP and get their take on it. They might have a good reason, like running it on rigs using higher than 16v, like a 6S pack.

As far as running the GoPro for your fpv camera, PeteDee is correct in that most people choose to run a separate VTX and use either a camera switch or separate VTX for the camera operator. However, some people think it worth the risk, usually flying in a LOS environment or on lightweight rigs. In fact the flitetest guys all say that they use their GoPros for fpv. But then they can afford to lose one once in a while. My personal experience has been good since I moved from the Hero2 to Hero3. And with the Hero2, what usually happened was that it stopped recording, but still passed video. I can't think of one lockup with the H3 / FatShark combo. I run mostly NAZA so the risk is minimized with the RTH feature. Lose video, hit the failsafe switch. Anyway, there is a lot to consider, and you almost have to get out there, try some different radios, cameras, transmitters, etc. to see what works for you. No matter which way you go, you are bound to modify it with time.

Since the veersion 3.0 firmware came out the shutdown problem does seem to have been reduced by a factor of a million but I find the GoPro feed a bit dark to use all the time anyway.

Pete