FPV for monitoring video?

DDuncan

Green multirotor video guy here. Quick question for the video/film guys out there: Is there any benefit to using FPV goggles or monocle to monitor your video? A standalone monitor would be my first guess, but I was curious to see if any of you fly pro this way, or is that really a more hobby-oriented pursuit?

Tomstoy2

I'm not "one of them guys", however, the only benefit I can see for a professional to use fpv is for framing a shot. On the hobby side, however, it's the most fun you can possibly have with your pants on!

DDuncan

Haha tom, it sure looks like fun! As a tv veteran, i'm used to a monitor for video out. Just not sure fpv wouldnt be better...

I know it probably all depends on your own preferences, but was curious if anyone did fpv professionally for video...

I just ordered and will soon be building my new skyjib 8 package. I plan on using a dual operator setup in the beginning and potentially forever. After all I've read here and the hours spent watching all of the amazing video shot with this platform... it seems to me it would be hard to dedicate the amount of focus to piloting AND maintain the attention needed to the camera and viewfinder. I've got over 25 years in TV at this point and the last 10 yes as a jib operator/owner. I think it will be a little hard to share the framing with a second operator, but in the interest of safety it seems like the thing to do. Let us know what you end up doing regardless.

Bum

DDuncan

Hey thanks for the reply bum! So you're planning on fpv for piloting and monitor for the camera?

A two man setup does seem like the safest way to go. Which would work for me and my crew as well...

No fpv in the beginning for me. Strictly line of sight piloting. The cam op will have his own 17" OLed Sony for framing. Separate 17" monitor station for the DP. Keep'em from leaning over the shoulder of my operator. ;)