Folding Vtail Quad - new build

matwelli

Heres my latest build, based on my favorite RCtimer motors (2630/14 750 kv) spinning 10 by 3.8 apc props, turdy plush 25 amp esc's, seperate SBEC, 4S 3000 lipo, 1200 grams dry (no lipo) and 8:30 safe flying time.

The frame arms are 12.7mm box section aluminium tube, centre plates and motor mounts 2.5mm G10 fglass

The flight controller is copter control, and the mix is a custom, but close enough to a Y4, so any FC that has a Y4 option will work

width is 650mm motor to motor and 450mm long

folded shes about 500 long and 250 wide, centre plate is 150mm square

needs a smidge more tuning, the wind was causing some oscilation, to much inner loop gain

since the video have swapped transmitters, nice to have a proper throttle stick now (before it worked from 25% to 75%)

View attachment 2019View attachment 2020

Attachments

• SAM_0616.jpg
    SAM_0616.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 300
  • SAM_0617.jpg
    SAM_0617.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 274
Last edited by a moderator:

DennyR

Mat
I think that is excellent, Has a lot of potential for a front view camera platform. Is that a CC custom algorithm or your own.

I love to see innovation.

matwelli

thanks Denny

I see you noticed the big empty area up front - go pro is going there, unobstructed view, no props in shot :)

At 1:12 it shows what I love about how these fly, i can't get a quad to turn like that

The mix is one I did for CC for vtails/y4 but for each frame I normally tweak the rear motor thrust and yaw to suit the weight and prop sizes

Stacky

Mine are just as bad.... hahahaha. Have you thought of using wing nuts on the foldable arms? Might make it even faster and more portable?

Kilby

Damn you, Mat & your shorts weather. I'm freezing right now in Baltimore.

Looks great though... keep it up!

DennyR

I recon that the next step might be to increase the size of the side lifters and decrease the rear ones to give it more efficiency at the CoG. Steers beautifully as is though. Could be the next big trend in camera ships.

My problem is trying to stay out of the sun!!!

matwelli

@stacky - good idea
@Denny -yea have toyed with that idea, have two motors that are good for 3kg thrust each
@Bart & Kilby - thanks :)

Have a new design that I think will shake things up - using the multi as the camera stabiliser......