Flying Using Digital Trims

2tall

Fly Often - Fly Safe
This is probably very old news but I thought I'd mention it anyway - it may help someone else.

I have been trying to improve the ability to fly smooth, slow camera passes and to achieve smooth constant speed pans (NAZA GPS and ATI modes). Adding expo to the rudder, aileron, and elevator channels helped, but I still could not be smooth and consistent with my slow flight camera passes.

Instead of using the control sticks on my JR9503 I decided to try maneuvering using the digital trims. Wow, it worked. Add a few clicks of rudder trim and you have a slow pan on the yaw axis. The more clicks the faster the pan. The same method works on the pitch and roll axis to establish constant speed slow directional flight. Once the trim rate is set the maneuvers are virtually hands off. Back out the trims and the ship resumes a hover.

Jon

Last edited by a moderator:

I use digital trim on my Futaba for the POI roll.. it keeps a constant slow roll.. :) I really makes everyone thinks I have good coordination even when I have a drink in my other hand. :)

shsober

When I was flying competition duration and distance RC sailplanes during the '80's I would use trims a lot when I was circling in thermals to minimize control surface movement. You'd better be really confident and able to reset your trims fast.