• boatwm.jpg
    boatwm.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 232
  • octowm.jpg
    octowm.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 256
Last edited by a moderator:

Av8Chuck

I was blown away with the cineflex shot of the MR landing on the boat and then as it zoomed out you could see the real helicopter then I remembered what a Cineflex is.

Wouldn't it be great if we could shoot like that from a MR?

Tuomas P.

I think its a question of a decent insurance. And not flying the batteries too empty. Also the Cineflex heli rather has two engines than just one.
TP.

Tonycap

I am the cinematographer for MGM Grand in Las Vegas and im thinking of flying my Arri Alexa for a fight promo . My last pilot dumped my Red Epic into a pool!, and is now getting fixed. It was going to be used for the Billboard Music Awards pre show events. Losing a the Red is allot less hurtful then the Arri so this next time will be scary if we get a green light for the big boxing match coming up in Macau.

I love flying over water, but the risk of doing so is quite considerable, especially over salty water. I learned that the hard way. I don't have a Red but I used my Sony Nex7, Zenmuse and s800. First things I noticed were rust blemishes on my gimbal motors just from a few flights, so a wipe with a hint of oil or wd40, became routine after flying. A malfunction while flying a few days later, forced me to crash the rig into the water. It was that, or crash it on a parking lot full of cars. The damage was not that bad considering, but salt water complicates thing. Salt water and electricity react badly, causing copper to turn to dust almost instantly. Three ESC's got fried (more like pulverized), tree props got busted, but my gimbal was the biggest loss (a relatively expensive piece). Trying to figure out whether a re-build makes sense versus buying a new one. Needless to say the camera was a goner too. Its a risk, it has its payoff. But be assured if you fly over water, at some point you will land on it. I don't know if insurance will cover that, but if it does, and you own a Red, well you know it'll make sense.

RC Rotors

I am the cinematographer for MGM Grand in Las Vegas and im thinking of flying my Arri Alexa for a fight promo . My last pilot dumped my Red Epic into a pool!, and is now getting fixed. It was going to be used for the Billboard Music Awards pre show events. Losing a the Red is allot less hurtful then the Arri so this next time will be scary if we get a green light for the big boxing match coming up in Macau.

Sorry about the red but a decent insurance will cover that and they are really the cheapest part of the equation. Should have an alexa flying by the end of the year but to fly the alexa you need a monster rig and a good pilot. i have some friends of mine in the vegas area that fly r/c heli's and i doubt there will be anyone better at flying a multi rotor than a heli pilot. the question is did the rig carrying the red fail or did the pilot crash??? flying a red is not an easy task by the time you get a decent gimbal and prime lens you are close to 30lbs.

Tonycap

Yes it was a bad day here at the mgm.. haha I actually know nothing about these r/c quads and just starting to dabble as a hobby. Everything was covered via RED which is a godsend of a policy. For now we are going to stick to
our local Heli pilots as we've always done for stock footy. Cheers! Not sure what failed all I know was that it happened as I was not on property. I know the rig was a cinestar? I think that was the name but had to rush off.

RC Rotors

Tonycap;132038. said:
For now we are going to stick to our local Heli pilots as we've always done for stock footy..

Great. if you have guy named Danny flying for you then you are in good hands. there may be only one other person better at flying these things in vegas and that's his older brother Alan but too bad he only flies heli's...

Yep, I still like to fly over water, even though my S800 took a plunge couple of months ago with a Zenmuse and a Sony Nex7 (ouch!). This one is my FPV DJI F550 hovering over the Atlantic near San Juan.