Flying safety. oath to not fly over people!

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I just wanted to post that I have turned down 2 jobs in the last month which involved flying over stadiums with 1000's of people. I told the client that most of us have agreed to not do this regardless of their confidence in their skill and rigs. We are in a moment of heavy scrutiny and need to carefully balance risk to reward. So I am asking the heli tribe, please DONT fly over crowds of people. I know people in other countries get away with it but here, especially in California where everyone is so damn sue happy, we just cant take that risk. Fly smart, keep this sport alive.

Str8 Up

Bravo, good for you! Over the last 10 years we have probably turned down $50k in work flying over crowds. Zero regrets.

Good on you, Iris!!

I'll take it one step further..... Everyone that has posted a video on Vimeo or YouTube which contains flight over people (even just one person....even just yourself)...take it down. Or at the very least make it private.

It is tough to argue with the paranoid majority when all they need to do is dial up a few dozen YouTube videos of this sort of thing. Doesn't matter whether its a video posted by one person or a commercial concern....it still promotes irresponsible behaviour and makes us all look bad.

....sT

Vojec

You are so right. Have 6 rules when I don`t fly:
fog
rain
heavy wind
heavy snow
solar storm
over croud
turn down many project regards of theese rules, but go sleep with clear mind :).

Amen Iris.

It's great to see the professional guys like yourself taking the lead on rejecting these types of jobs. There will always be someone who cheats and chooses to take those risks but it's great that leaders like yourself are taking a stand. Good stuff.

Breezemont

Gonna be hard to put that toothpaste back in the tube.
NAB = National Association of Broadcasters.
Colin Guinn had them eating out of his hand calling them "flying cameras".

Last edited by a moderator:

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I just proposed using a kite to the client. Assuming there is a small amount of wind, and trust me these rokaku's dont take more than 5mph to lift a gopro, that should satisfy them for some aerial shots. Also, you can set it and forget it. No worries, unless of course the wind happened to die and fall on someone, but it glides down buttery smooth. If anyone is interested in this idea you have to check out the rokaku kites. I didnt believe it but they are indeed very stable once the camber is set properly. And the wind range is amazing. of course not anywhere as cool as a heli shot but for that direct overhead shot it does have a purpose.

this is the one I have.

http://www.cobrakite.com/rokkaku.html

Breezemont

I've been thinking a lot about kites with a brushless gimbal. Very relaxing.
That and the fact that it's windy as hell out here more often than not.

tempete.gif

nicwilke

I saw a guy demo his octo recently at an emergency services say (don't personally see the connection between him and the Emergency services). There were kids, adults and he still flew over them. He was not certified to operate commercially, and was handing out fliers. Every job I turn down (via word of mouth) he picks up 10. Whilst I wait, he gains market exposure. It's not only unfair, it's dangerous. Lucky for him I'm not the type to report to the authorities, but in Australia, if you do get caught, you get a strike and it makes it harder to get certification.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Dont report him, tell his clients that we all agreed to not do this. I told my client I could even try and find someone that was dumb enough to do it but I would feel like a hypocrite for doing so. He understood and agreed to not hire anyone for this type of event. Yes, it's frustrating. Just a few dumb impulsive kids will screw it up for many. I guess it helps to not be desperate for money when flying helis.

the cable cam idea would fun as hell to try. You would have to have the shot be up/down wind though otherwise the load of the cable would pull both kites toward each other. I'll let someone else try it first :)

hjls3

thoughts on flying over active participates in the shoot - post a safety meeting? by active participants, i mean mtn bikers in full gear, skiers, BMX guys etc.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Thats a controlled situation. not the same as flying over 5000 drunk teenagers on extacy. If I understand you correctly, then yes, the best thing is to just go over the shot. Tell them not to look at it or it ruins the shot(most of the time). Tell them If you yell "DJI" get the hell out of the way and run!

hjls3

Thanks Yuri - just double checking I was on the same page as everyone else. It seems we are, but my safety word is "dont stop" or at least I think that is what my girlfriend taught me :)

Thats a controlled situation. not the same as flying over 5000 drunk teenagers on extacy. If I understand you correctly, then yes, the best thing is to just go over the shot. Tell them not to look at it or it ruins the shot(most of the time). Tell them If you yell "DJI" get the hell out of the way and run!