flying ok 1st flight indoors then flips on 2nd flight

malc1955

HI have just come back from a indoor flying meet the 1st flight was stable it went left right up to over 35 ft and down just great landed. and waited for a second slot armed the transmitter and pluged the flight battery as before armed it up but as soon as I treid to take it up itwas fliping over with just a touch of power it did this after going through re arming about 10 times the same ended up on the gps aerial disc so gave it up just in case there is a major problem so any help would be great. thanks malc.:upset:

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Hi Malc,

can you give use a little more info on your setup ! Naza WKM ESCS etc Copter quad hex a etc. Pic would be great too !

Boris

malc1955

Hi yes standard FLAME WHEEL 450 naza and gps with motors and esc @ 30 amp and 10 inch dji props with led lights on corners .MALC

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Okay Ill just put down some points what it could be.

1. Faulty ESC, spin up the motors without props see if you see any abnormalities. Don't go full on the motors to long not good for them !

2. Motors issue, perform the same check like above !

3. WKM NAZA etc. don't ask me why just boots up sometimes and act wired:

After this i preformed another boot up it never happened again !

4. Check the wiring especially to the motors go sure that none if the bullet connecters are either loose of not soldered the way they should be. You will
probably have to take of the heat shrinks.

5. Check the IMU status in the Naza assistant.

6. Check your radio that its really doing what its supposed to and that you have a standard clean model setup on you radio with no mixer etc. that could have influenced the take off.

7. If you can go sure that you don't endanger yourself or anybody else hold the quad in the air with prop on and motors spinning and check if it really levels the way it should be. But really only do this only if you feel comfortable with it. I had a quad spinning up full once in my hands and I wasn't ready for it so it bit me all over !

Boris

Last edited by a moderator:

v84x4

Total Noob
BorisS...........

After watching your video
I can say my NAZA does the same exact thing

Almost every time I start up my Quad it wants to lean forward or sideways
So I have come to learn to "Counteract" this effect upon take off

Once it's in the air it acts fine

It's almost as if the ESC's or motors need to be matched or calabrated to each other..........hmmmm

I know from the 4x4 world of RC that having "MATCHED" motors is a must for the MOA guys

Do you think it's a Motor or ESC thing?
Or just a glitch in the NAZA hardware?

Regards, Rick

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
hmmm could have different reasons hard to say.

Did you calibrate your ESCs ? You can do it like the guy in the video with a servos test or with you radio and rx. Hooking up the ESC to you throttle channel and doing the same procedure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iklJEx3HA78

Otherwise it could also be that you gains on roll pitch are to low !

Boris

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Ah wait sorry i keep on forgetting if you have the DJI escs you have a hardcoded throttle range they can't be calibrated !

Experiment with you basic gains. If you can put them on a knob and push them up in flight until the copter starts to oscillate. Than bring them down again a little to get rid of the oscillations. Land the bird and try a take off again !

Last edited by a moderator:

LowFlier

Hold the outside of the motor on the side it flips toward and see if you can turn the prop by hand. If for some reason it is slipping the craft fill flip that way. Maybe not that, but it can cause the symptom.