Flying in snow

Hoki

So I built a small drone and I wanna fly it when there's snow on the ground but is that risky? If it crashes in the snow will it short out?

SamaraMedia

Not likely, but good luck looking for a small one in snow, especially over a couple inches deep if you go down hard. Depends on how hard it's snowing too.

Hoki

why wouldn't it short out in the snow? it's water after all.... and with those diy drones having a lot of exposed circuit boards.

jinly

why wouldn't it short out in the snow? it's water after all.... and with those diy drones having a lot of exposed circuit boards.

I fly 250 class FPV in the snow. If your FC , camera, VTx, ESC's have control boards with circuits exposed, they could short. You are right snow is actually water. I use liquid tape on my exposed boards ( XCorrosion) will work also. You will need to seal the ends of your ESC Shrink wraps also.
To be sure you don't short anything....unplug your lipo first after finding your quad in the snow. I have crashed in snow and have never shorted anything as long as the weather kept the snow frozen, once it starts melting that's when you could have problems.
here's a great link
http://flitetest.com/articles/waterproofing-electronics