Flip of death

More and more problem toward WK issues since they launch the S800 it is become nightmare to Dji - currently flying two older version WK no issues here with the current 5:14 firmware

Shiu

Dewster

Flip of death folks,

DJI states that GPS/Compass units purchased after June 2012 are affected by software bug. Read their web site:

http://www.dji-innovations.com/compass/submit_rma/

You can tell the difference between the new and old Compass. The new one is all white around the rim of the unit and the old one has two black areas on the rim of the compass.

Last edited by a moderator:

tombrown1

I must be looking at something incorrectly. To me it looks like 3 red flashes followed by a purple flash consistently - meaning there is no GPS lock. In this case it should be flying fine in attitude mode right? According to the manual you need to have two or three white flashes in a row for there to be an attitude issue - I never saw this once in the video.

Malcr001

Knowing that there is an issue with the combination of the frame and the old GPS I would not even be flying it until the problem has been fixed. Also just the thought of flying over water makes me cringe, it was only his third flight! He/she was asking for it.

Danub

If you notice in the video the LED is flashing multiple white flashes which is an indication that the IMU is picking up serious vibrations, I believe in manual the recommendation is to land and fix the problem if you see this happening. Ignoring that warning can result in exactly what you see in the video, RTFM and understand what the LED is telling you, ignore it at your own expense.

Had that been my S800 I sure as H**l would have put it on the ground as soon as I started seeing white flashes in a hover. I occasionally see them on my CS6 when I make hard direction changes in which case I stop and let it hover a couple feet off the ground until it recovers or land if it persists, continuing to fly in that condition is asking for trouble. Seeing it happening while hovering is a sure sign something is seriously out of whack and that the owner/pilot hasn't a clue about what the system he's flying is trying to tell him. Not ncessarily a case of pilot error though it could be classified as that, but more likely a case of assembler error and not mounting the WKM IMU correctly.

Ken
I only saw one white flash here and there in a group of 3-4 red flashes.
What happens if you "chip" a prop in flight . . . . I fly "fpv" style and would not see the occasisonal white flash of the led causing my copter to "self destruct"
Not a good look by DJI. IMO
I am looking for a flight board to use on a gimbal multi. . .either y6 or hexa. . . I gotta say DJI just went down on the list and hoverfly has moved up. . . now to more research. :)
If I designed that feature ANY issue requiring immediate landing would have loud audible and flashing lights to give the operator EVERY opportunity to land safely not just a blinking white light/self destruvt, the doesn't seem adequate to me.

Dewster

Not to beat a dead horse, but how is it that this Flip of Death is associated with S800 flyers if its a firmware bug in the GPS/Compass?

I think it's an ESC connectivity issue if it only affects users of the S800.

Has anyone experienced a Flip of Death on another craft that wasn't caused by a prop, motor, or ESC failure?

mannh85

Not to beat a dead horse, but how is it that this Flip of Death is associated with S800 flyers if its a firmware bug in the GPS/Compass?

I think it's an ESC connectivity issue if it only affects users of the S800.

Has anyone experienced a Flip of Death on another craft that wasn't caused by a prop, motor, or ESC failure?

Yes - Cinestar 8 with new style GPS, 3rd battery flight, identical to all other videos.

HEX junky

Read the notice again..... It states S800 size or larger. It is not an S800 issue. It is a firmware issue with the newer type GPS...ONLY on WKM