Flight times anomaly - maybe ?

Hi folks

I noticed the other day while flying in both Attitude and manual modes that attitude mode drains the Lipo LOADS FASTER than manual mode does ? I assume this is normal, but is there some magic way I can lengthen time in attitude mode. The reason I ask is that I plan to use my F450 to start ab intio heli pilots off so that they can get the feel for cyclic control in a safe and controlled environment. It would be nice to get about the same time whether in attitude or Manual modes.

Is this controlled by the gain figures one use in the setup for attitude ? I suspect it is, and that the lesser the gain used, the lesser the drain on the power source ?

I must say that the tether system works extremely well, and really does allow one to practice FPV without a spotter being there. I tried once without either, and nearly flew it back into myself - lesson learned REAL FAST. My tether does have a length of rubber bungee at the top end top absorb any sharp tugs, and the F450 in attitude mode just floats around it's entire available area dead level. It also will get dragged downwards by the tether, but of course, the new FPV pilot can also try to fly so the the tether is "hanging" from the quad, so they are in effect flying it totally themselves.
Cheers all - Ian

mailman35

my flight times are about the same if im flying agressivly and fast, or hovering. 3s and 2350mah = ~6min, 4000mah = 7-8min 5000mah = 10-12min
with the hex an 4s its 3000mah = 5-7min and with 5000mah its around 10-12min

Hi mailman

Are those times in Attitude or manual modes ?

Cheers- Ian

my flight times are about the same if im flying agressivly and fast, or hovering. 3s and 2350mah = ~6min, 4000mah = 7-8min 5000mah = 10-12min
with the hex an 4s its 3000mah = 5-7min and with 5000mah its around 10-12min

mailman35

i only fly in atti. but i fail to see how a mode can affect the performance that much. unless everything is really out of balance and its having to keep readjusting.
im also not flying with stock motors, but the quad has sunnysky 2814's 1250kv's and the hex has 2814 suppos 1000kv.

That's interesting mailman, as I would of course prefer to fly in attitude when flying up close to objects or through tighter areas like footpaths and over rivers. Can anyone tell me why I am getting this result, and perhaps what settings I should be using for basic gain and attitude gain (on a Naza remember). It seems that my basic gain settings are OK, although it is pretty twitchy to fly in manual mode, but it is great in atitude, and the values are higher. ???????
Thanks - Ian

zooks

I have a naza F450 dji kit with graupner 10x5 and a gopro2 flying with a 3s 4200mah, that gives me about 15-17min in atti mode.
Basic gains are P150, R150, Y120, V150 and atti are P110, R110.
What kind of flight times are you aiming for?

Hi Zooks
It is not so much aiming for the amount of time I want, as much as I can is of course the answer to that one, but I would really like as much time as I can get flying in attitude mode for obvious reasons, more so because I am almost a beginner as far as MRC's are concerned. I can see that manual mode would be great if you really want to do rolls and loops, but I do NOT want to do so. I am very much a scale style pilot with my helicopters, and will be the same with my quad(s). I want to use it to go off down quiet backwaters investigating the banks, under bridges, up over roofs as well, maybe some photography in addition to the obvious FPV footage I hope to collect once I can afford the now pretty well defacto GoPro camera system.

I don't think I am getting anywhere near your times right now, but I have not timed them, and I also have the NAZA Voltage check ON which may not be a good idea, as when it hits the lower voltage limit it simply switches off, and the F450 comes straight down - like a dead weight.
Cheers- Ian

zooks

I too have the voltage check on. First the bec shows a red flash for a while and then it starts to descend... Have you mounted your bec so its visible during flight?

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi Zooks
Yes, I can see it reasonably well, but I must admit I maybe kept flying a little too long when it was at red. Even with a new Lipo on board, my PCM flashes green for a few seconds and then drops back to orange, so it seem as though it is maybe calibrating a bit pessimistically somehow. ?

I too have the voltage check on. First the bec shows a red flash for a while and then it starts to descend... Have you mounted your bec so its wisible during flight?

I have just bought a S/H X525 with the KKK controller on board. Apparently only been flown a very few times by someone who bought it on spec but has decided that although it is quite fun, he prefers planks. No problem to me, I got it at a good price, and just have to add my Rx and I will be away flying it by LOS (No FPV gear on board - YET).

I think it might be interesting to compare the flight times I get with the same lipo on each quad doing the same type of flying? I have now turned off the Voltage control on the NAZA so that it will at least come down reasonably gently if I let it get too low. Guess I must investigate some OSD gear next !!!! It's only money after all - ain't it :))
Cheers - Ian

I have the same "problem" with my F550 + Naza. With the Atti mode ON I have to go down something like 2 mins before normal mode. This is more exagerated with the small lipos, I think this is because that ones have less "C's" and the Naza detects them like empty even when they have enough mAh to keep flying.

With the 3S 4000 I can Fly well in Atti mode (just less time) but with the 3S 2500 it flies well some seconds and then it goes down like battery empty, then I change to normal mode and flies normally.

I am really pleased to hear that Pedro is also getting the same problem as I do, or not pleased but it does confirm my situation is not alone and therefore a local problem ?

I have this X525 coming very shortly, so will test that out (it has the KKK controller) and see if there is any obvious difference in times ?
Cheers - Ian