Flight Time F550

I know this has been discussed but still I cant seem to find my answers. I recently upgraded to an F550 from a 450. Withthe 450 I was getting 15 minutes plus flight times. Now Im down to less than 5 minutes. Details of rig below. I dont know if I have bad batteries or what. Looking to order new batteries but now Im not sure what to get. Parrell??

F550
Stock Motors
DJI NAZA +GPS
10" Blades
Aquadframe Gimbal plus Gopro
Battiers
Turnigy nano-tech 3000mah 3S 25~50C Lipo Pack (USA Warehouse) --- Fully charged I plug it in and the BEC lights up like its dead and it wont even get off the ground
Turnigy nano-tech 4500mah 4S 25~50C Lipo Pack (USA Warehouse) --- Gives me less than 5 minutes
Turnigy nano-tech 3300mah 3S 45~90C Lipo Pack (USA Warehouse) --- Fully charged I plug it in and the BEC lights up like its dead and it wont even get off the ground

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>
Please Help!!!

Oztravels

For what its worth I am running a F550 with archbridge landing gear, go pro mount and go pro, fpv. The battery is a 3300 4S. I get about 5 minutes as well.

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
I use GensAce 4S 5000mah 65C lipos and get a comfortable 9minutes with a couple to spare. Put back in 4000mah usually. No gimbal or skids but a GoPro hard mounted.

How are you basing your 5minutes? The low voltage cutoff? How much are you putting back in afterwards in the charger?

I have a very low, low voltage cutoff because it is for emergencies only. I have an OSD which states how much mah I've used.

Faffer

Hi
I have been chatting to helloman1976 he said that the Zippy compact 4s 4000 are the ones to get and run them in parrell

I have a 550 but no landing gear on it and I get 6:25 from a 4s 3700 35c (did not have any of the 4000 ) Just moving in the garden .. it was windy so the 550 was fighting the wind.

Have you tuned off the voltage warning and given it a go .. I see people complain about this warning to early .... I was testing what I got beofre my 3.7v cell warning was beeping them landing and checking the power left in the batt and taking it from there

I got about 5:30 from a 3S 3700

I did have a go pro on the 550 but not much else ..

what is your flight weight ?

Richard

I just finsihed setting this up. All ansewers I need to get, including the flight weight. I was wondering if my battery was acutally bad. I think my 3s are since the low voltage indicator comes on as soon as I plug them in and it wont get off the ground. Ill hook up the OSD tonight and weigh the copter as well. But I think Im going to go ahead and buy new battiers. Just was hoping I could find somewhere else to get them other than HK, I dont feel like waiting a month for them to come in.

jhardway

Not sure of what exactly the changes you made from your 450 to 550 but I can tell you a few things I know and for what I have been reading on the thread, it all is about right. On my 550 on a good battery, I can get about 9 min flight, with a sony rx100. There is a few things I have done, one is I do not have DJI motors, I opted to build one with AVRoto Motors. I also extended the arms by cutting out my own extensions and added 11inch props. The last think I have put a pretty good size battery on it, 6600 - 9.5 min of flight.

I can also put a nano tech 5000 4s and get something like 8 to 8.5 min of flight

Weight props and motor play a huge role. best wishes

Is that really the end of it though? Going from a 450 getting about 15 minutes of flight time to a 550 getting 5-10 minutes of flight time?

jhardway

Mike

Think about it, Although this scenario is not exact and my technical translation is not all that great, some of it will make sense. if you just proportionally increased the size of your copter from a 4 to a 6 motor copter, you are adding a bigger frame, two more arms, two more motors, etc.... (weight!!!) Now if you weight grows fairy proportionately with what you are adding.

Just adding two more motors = roughly 1/3 more power use, which if you where getting 15 min of 4 motors, now you have introduced another 1/3 of power consumption into the mix. 1/3 of 15 min will = 10 flight, thats if everything was consistent, but there are other factors that will play a role.

Another consideration is to take in is the thought of how efficient are the motors to prop relation. Now you are getting into efficiency, each motor will have its own sweet spot, where it will give you its max lift while using the minimal amount of power needed to produce that lift, however as you go above the point the amount of energy used will increase, sometimes exponentially, and in that case you will get a huge waste of power per unit to the amount of lift being produced.

In you case to me it sound like whatever is going on you are above that most efficient spot.

Lately the way people are adding flight time is using new motors, motors with low KV (KV being the power unit needed to make one rotation), DJI Motors are 920kv, I am not great of explaining the relationship but in general the lower the KV larger the prop the motor can support ???, the larger the prop the more thrust. So I have seen someone take a f450 extend the arms, add a low KV motor, put 14 inch props on it, lift a much heavier load, add two 5s (5000mha) batteries and fly the copter for 24min, of safe power time.

At the end of the day, Its kinda like the old Sims City, A lot of combinations can be done, you just have to find them and understand the limitations involved in creating them.

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
Hey Mike,

I have my 4S set to 13.2 for second stage and about 14 for first stage. This is about the absolute minimum I think. Using a timer is much more accurate and just measure how much you're putting back in. Should have 20% of the total rated mah left.

Are you changing your low voltage cutoff between 4S and 3S? It's different for each one.

para9111

F550 flite times with new DJI flamewheel light landing gear GoPro 3,fatshark 600tvl,600mw immersion VTX,EzOSD,4500 3S 65-100C X2 12-14 min.I had 7-8 minutes till I removed AeroXcraft landing gear with camera mount and gimbal w/servos way too heavy.

LeeT

Wannabe AP Dude
I know this has been discussed but still I cant seem to find my answers. I recently upgraded to an F550 from a 450. Withthe 450 I was getting 15 minutes plus flight times. Now Im down to less than 5 minutes. Details of rig below. I dont know if I have bad batteries or what. Looking to order new batteries but now Im not sure what to get. Parrell??

F550
Stock Motors
DJI NAZA +GPS
10" Blades
Aquadframe Gimbal plus Gopro
Battiers
Turnigy nano-tech 3000mah 3S 25~50C Lipo Pack (USA Warehouse) --- Fully charged I plug it in and the BEC lights up like its dead and it wont even get off the ground
Turnigy nano-tech 4500mah 4S 25~50C Lipo Pack (USA Warehouse) --- Gives me less than 5 minutes
Turnigy nano-tech 3300mah 3S 45~90C Lipo Pack (USA Warehouse) --- Fully charged I plug it in and the BEC lights up like its dead and it wont even get off the ground

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>
Please Help!!!

You can see my equipment list in my signature, AUW is 2650, I am using a 3300 & 4000 in parrallel. Average flight times are 10 minutes, straight hover around 15. Using 80 - 85% of capacity.

What should I have my voltage settings at on the NAZA?

I have Spektrum telemetry on my 550 so I turned off the voltage settings in the assistant.
I use a 5000 3S with 2212/13 1000kv Brand X motors and Opto 30 ESC and 10" gemfan props.
Fully loaded with legs, gimbal and FPV I get 9-9.5 minutes of steady low altitude flying.
I fly it until the voltage drop is 10.0 then I bring it home.
Unloaded with legs only I can get 12 minutes.
Using the assistant voltage monitor I was only getting 5 minutes or less to the blinking red alarm light.

para9111

You can also just change the Low voltage settings to 10.0 making sure you calibrate your current battery so it accurate in the software.But a very good point the LV in assistat software can really cut your flying time if not calibrated/ set correctly.

JeffreyFortuna

I fly a F550 with stock white landing legs, a H3-2D gimbal on a carbon mount, GoPro hero3+ and a and FPV system. The STORM battery from helipal is a 3cell 35C and rated at 5500mAh. I flew today and just hovered about 5 meters high for 9:09 minutes. The rig needed extra throttle for the last 45 seconds or so. This battery has been cycles about 20 times so not completely new.
I also tested my new Turnigy Nano-Tech 25-50C 6000 mAh using the very same hovering with no big pushes and was able to fly for 13:21. When I landed this battery has a remaining charge of 8% and 3.6Volts.
I was worried that these new Turnigy Nano-Tech batteries (I just bought tow of them) might not give me much more time since they do weight a little more but I'm very happy with these times!

Jeffrey

222GR

My barebones 550 used to fly close to 15 minutes but thats of course with nothing on it. I put the H33D on it and associated electronics, iOSD, and landing gear and now i get 10 minutes with nanotech 3S 6000's - thats to 10.7 volts loaded and follows the 80% rule. I accept this but i want to know how in the world DJI got the phantom to fly for 20 minutes with a gimbal and gopro. crazy!!!!

Last edited by a moderator: