First Quad, total newbie in the hobby! Basic questions about parts.

jozzi99

Hi! My name is Joseph.
I am just starting to pick up knowledge about building multicopters. I want to build it on my own, first of all because its cheaper, but most importantly it is much more rewarding building it with my own hands. So I searched for accessories, example builds, etc. and I did come up with these accessories:
- Turnigy Talon Carbon Fiber Quadcopter Frame (498mm) - 240g
- 4x NTM Prop Drive Series 28-26A 1200kv / 286w (short shaft version) - 231g
- 4x TURNIGY Plush 25amp Speed Controller - 188g
- TURNIGY BESC Programming Card
- 8045 SF Props 2pc CW 2 pc CCW Rotation - 45g
- Hobbyking KK2.1 Multi-rotor LCD Flight Control Board With 6050MPU And Atmel 644PA - 21g
- Hobby King Quadcopter Power Distribution Board - 38g
- ZIPPY Flightmax 1800mAh 4S1P 40C - 222g
- Turnigy 9X 9Ch Transmitter w/ Module & 8ch Receiver (Mode 2) (v2 Firmware)
cca. 1 kg + wires, connectors, etc.
So my questions are:
Can these components work with each other? Isn't this configuration too heavy for the motors, props, battery, etc? What additional components do I need? What will be approx. the flight time?
In the future, I would like to upgrade the system to an octocopter, that is why the 9ch transmitter/receiver.

Thank you beforehand!

Best regards,
Joe.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Welcome to the forum Jozzi! You have stumbled on a great place for help and to do some more research. ***Put your location in your profile - it helps people help you!***

Firstly, if you haven't already, order a $30-$80 micro quad and start practicing your flight skills. Priceless. Have you found eCalc yet? It's a great online calculator to help you hone in on components for your build.

As far as specific components: I don't have any experience with those motors - but I know I've read bad reviews. Do a little more research about them. Most beginners have good luck with the basic aero drive turnigy's like the D2830-11.

If that PDB is the cheap HK version with female bullet connectors hard wired to the board - avoid it. It caused a crash on my quad - and technically isn't rated for the amperage. Make your own "squid."

I believe eve that battery will be too small. You'll want something at least in the 3000+ mah range to get decent flight times. It's a constant battle between power and weight - which is where eCalc can really help.

Also, think about getting decent props. The ones sold at HK are cheap, but also can fail. There are plenty of fairly inexpensive options (Gemfan, APC, HQ). Make sure you get a prop balancer, and so e servo leads for the KK2.1. You will need some bullet connectors (3.5mm is standard), XT-60 connectors and various wires and solder too. Make sure you have a decent soldering iron. It's also smart to order extra motor, ESC and props for eventual crash and/or bad QC.

Good luck. It really is rewarding to build your own and see it get airborne.

Scott

Last edited by a moderator:

jbrumberg

Welcome Joe.

Scott offers great advise. One thing I did not see on your list is the 10 pack of 10cm 3 pin servo wires to connect the Rx to the KK board. Everyone seems to forget those. If you do not want to make your own squid there are premade breakout cables available just make sure the power (battery) connector matches the battery you'll be using. eCalc is a decent predictive program. It is no longer free to use, but the cost of subscription is reasonably cheap. It is really helpful to help one decide on component choices. It's a good idea to get extra replacement props, motors, and ESC's.

I think you made the correct decision with the transmitter regardless of future build plans. If you upgrade FCB's on this chassis you will be glad you chose a 9 channel Tx.

Good Luck

Jay

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
Spend a bit extra on some SunnySky motors, will be the best money you spend, also go for the 30A Afro ESC's, just a little more but the best ESC out there.

Don't get a distro board, get an octopus distro cable.

Go for at least a 3000mH 4S pack.

Get at least a 9XR, the 9X will soon require modification to do everything you will soon want to do, if you can stretch the cash get a Taranis radio or a used Futaba T8FG.

Cheers

Pete

jozzi99

Hi guyz! Thank you all for your replies, much appreciated! You guys are very helpful :)
Scott!
Your idea about the micro quad was very interesting. I made a quick search and I found, that the Hubsan X4 H107C is a great little thing. What is your opinion about it? Costs about $56. Or can you offer me something else? I think I will avoid the NTM prop drives and the HobbyKing PDB too.
Jay!
Thank you for your advise too! I honestly did get only the 1/5 of what you were talking about, but down the road I think I will understand :)
Pete!
These specific advises about the components are very helpful! I heard great things about the SunnySky motors, so I will go with them. Can you offer me, what specific model will I have to use for this configuration? I don't know the 30A Afro ESCs, but I trust your experience :)
I already forgot the distro board, I will go with the octopus distro cable you mentioned. Based on what Scott and you mentioned, I will definitely get the 3000 mAh 4S batteries.
Edit: I am thinking about getting this battery: ZIPPY Flightmax 4000mAh 4S1P 40C. It's a lot heavier, than the 1800mAh, but I think the motors will handle it. What's your opinion?
Pete, can you tell me, what is the difference between the 9XR and the 9X?

Thank you again guys!

Joe.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I've heard good things about the Hubsan. In fact almost anything that you can use to practice will be good. Read some reviews, and choose the one you like. It just comes down to getting some flight control before attempting to fly a bigger (more dangerous) quad.

jozzi99

Ok, thank you Scott, for the reply. I think the first step will be is, that I will get this mini thing for myself and practice :)
Btw, what do you think about the SunnySky motors Pete mentioned? Or about my choice of battery, the ZIPPY Flightmax 4000mAh 4S1P 40C? I would really appreciate your opinion too about them :)

jbrumberg

Hubsan is probably one of the better indoor/outdoor "trainers" available right now. They do have their faults, but for a trainer they have a lot of advantages. When I say outdoors I mean calm wind to 3 kts of wind. They are too small and underpowered to handle wind. There is a huge following at rcgroups.com The ABCs of Radio Control - Aircraft, Boats, and Cars!.

That Zippy is heavy and you do not need a 40C battery. You can safely use those 25/35C batteries; they are lighter in weight. I use those Zippy Compact batteries. QC is not always the best, but they work. QC can vary with all the brand names. Nano's are always well reviewed.

I hope that this is helpful.

Good luck.

Jay

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Pete is spot on. The Sunnysky gets amazing reviews, especially for the money (half the price of a T-Motor!). They will be my next purchase when I trade up from the very cheap and basic (but fine for now) Turnigy Aerodrive 2830-11.

As Jay said, the Nano-Tech batteries get great reviews (they were highly recommended on this forum and so far so good), it's what I have, but they are somewhat heavy. Not sure you will get much better and lighter though. Zippy gets mixed reviews, but I have not used the personally. I own the Nano-Tech 3S 5000mah 35-70C battery, and it gets me decent flight times so far. But it's a beast weight-wise. I think if I had it to do over again, I'd get 4S instead, somewhere around 3300mah - 4500mah. Maybe something like THIS:

benbot

I have the estes dart (almost clone of the hubsan x4, different transmitter). They are great for learning the basics of flight. They are great indoors and awesome outside as long as the wind is not excessive. Plus replacement parts are plentiful and cheap. I would have no hesitations, the x4 would be a great starting point.

jbrumberg

Welcome to the madness benbot. You should make a "formal" introduction of yourself with you own thread. So that more members can get to know you. Post freely and often. :)

jozzi99

Ok. I have changed my list like this:

Turnigy Talon Carbon Fiber Quadcopter Frame (498mm)
Hobbyking KK2.1 Multi-rotor LCD Flight Control Board With 6050MPU And Atmel 644PA
4x Afro ESC 30Amp Multi-rotor Motor Speed Controller (SimonK Firmware)
4x SunnySky V2216 1250kv Brushless Motor
GemFan 8045 Props (Nylon) / GemFan 8045 Props (CF/Nylon)
Turnigy nano-tech 4000mah 4S 25~50C Lipo Pack
Turnigy 9XR Transmitter Mode 1 (No Module)
Weight: min. 1150g / 1050g - depends on the battery.

So, how does it look now?
I have further questions:
- The "no module" phrase with the 9XR means, it needs receiver? If so, what receiver would you guys recommend? Oh, and what does the "Mode 1" / "Mode 2" mean?
- I am not sure, I chose the right motors from SunnySky... Can someone confirm or refuse my choice? These do cost a lot more, than the NTM prop drives :/
- What props you recommend? Nylon or Carbon Fiber/Nylon GemFan Props? $2 bucks difference.
- Will this nano-tech battery good for my quad? Or should I choose the 3300mAh, which weighs 337g as opposed to the 4000mAh, which is 433g?
- For the Afro ESCs I won't need the turnigy programming card, right?

Thanks for the replies again!

Kind regards,

Joe.

Edit: Oh and btw, I am definitely going for the Hubsan x4 h107c... I love it already :)

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
- The "no module" phrase with the 9XR means, it needs receiver? If so, what receiver would you guys recommend? Oh, and what does the "Mode 1" / "Mode 2" mean?

This transmitter (Tx) doesn't come with a RF module - meaning it doesn't transmit unless you buy a module for it. On the Hobby King page, there are some available modules for it in the accessories section. I would do some research about tit though to make sure you get what you need. You will also need a Receiver (Rx) - which sometimes comes with the modules. The Mode 1 and Mode 2 mean that the throttle sticks are reversed. Most in North America use Mode 2, much of Europe seems to use Mode 1.

- I am not sure, I chose the right motors from SunnySky... Can someone confirm or refuse my choice? These do cost a lot more, than the NTM prop drives :/

These are supposed to be great motors. High Quality for the cost. The exact model will depend on your build. If you look at eCalc, lowering the motor (if it can handle the watts required) to something like a 900-1000kv motor will increase your mixed flight times.

- What props you recommend? Nylon or Carbon Fiber/Nylon GemFan Props? $2 bucks difference.

Definitely go with the Fiber/Nylon blend.

- Will this nano-tech battery good for my quad? Or should I choose the 3300mAh, which weighs 337g as opposed to the 4000mAh, which is 433g?

Again, this will depend on the build and how heavy t turns out to be. Chances are you will be able to handle the extra 100 grams, and the extra Amp will typically provide longer flight times.

- For the Afro ESCs I won't need the turnigy programming card, right?

If they are pre=flashed with Simonk K you will not need to mess with them at all. Make sure you know whether they are OPTO or not (some Afros are), if so, you will need a UBEC.