First Post!

First post and looking to get into aerial photography. I'd like to jump in with something that I can practice with & expand upon, so I'd like to make sure the components I pick up are quality enough to possibly use on another build.

My thought process is to buy something ready to fly and a kit at the same time. Having the ready to fly will allow me to see it done/complete on my bench, possibly practice flying it as I build another one with almost the same spec.

With my google searching, I keep pulling up Helipal.com. Does that vendor get a nod from the forum users?

Also, can anyone weigh in on the value of this package:
http://www.helipal.com/dji-flamewheel-f550-w-naza-v2-gps-drone-rtf.html

A friend of mine tells me that the radio is not very good, but I'm not sure I need more than this at this time. He also says that it does not offer a readout on power left on the craft batteries, but i see I can buy a low voltage alarm for like $20.

Any thoughts or insight would be helpful, and of course if this has been flogged to death elsewhere, please forgive me and be kind enough to guide me to the proper reads on the topic.

Cheers.

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
Welcome to the forum!

If you're going to spend $1000 on RTF you might as well build it yourself. You'll learn a lot more. I would recommend getting a good transmitter. A transmitter is likely going to be with you for a long time.

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers!

Hi Benjamin, thanks for the heads up. I was told to get a new transmitter that is really good for about 200 bucks but is unavailable (taranis). I see them on ebay coming from china for about 300, but can't get my hands on one anywhere. Maybe I'll start with a kit and then mate a radio to it when I'm done the build. Appreciate the heads up.

Flydigital

I have the same model but bought it ARF. Much more interesting I think to assemble yourself and work through all the steps to getting it flying. You'll have a more complete understanding of it all when you're done and know how to maintain it as you'll be more familiar with the parts. I went for a cheap transmitter - Turnigy 9x. No doubt there's much better Tx options but this works for me. Planning to add open source firmware er9x which I hear gives it much better functionality. Good luck with the build!

Gonna go the same route as you flydigital. Just read through the group build thread & videos and seems straightforward enough. The guy leading it (bartman) is doing an amazing job. I don't think they got to the radio stuff yet, but I'll need that info cause it's all Greek at this point. On the hunt for a taranis radio too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk