First Impressions of the new Gryphon Frame

maxwelltub

I'm not usually one of the first to jump on board a new product, but I have been on the market for a new X8 for a while and when I saw the Gryphon Dynamics X8, and I just went for it. There isn't a tone of information on them right now so I thought I would share my experience incase anyone was thinking of getting it.

First I think its important to say that earlier last week before I bought the frame I emailed Gryphon Dynamics with a question. Within 24 hours I got a response and was able to actually talk with someone at the company. They kept answering my questions and this made me feel a little more confident.

So far my thoughts are this thing seems pretty sweet. The box came neatly packed and organized, they emailed me the instructions because they are not up on the web yet. I put the whole thing together fairly quickly. There are a ton of screws and they are not all the same, which can be a pain. But after putting it all together is seems very sturdy and robust. Lots of real-estate for putting PDB and other items. ESCs will fit in the arms for a clean build. The carbon fiber seems very high grade. I actually had a very hard time believing the arms were carbon fiber. They seemed to be some sort of light aluminum but on further inspection you can see the layers on the end. Who knows, maybe it is some carbon fiber wrapped around some type of core, but its super light and very strong.

I am moving from a CarbonCore frame which I still have and use with out incident. However moving into larger camera systems and remote heads I wanted something much sturdier and robust. From what I can tell at this point this frame is rock solid.

To summerize here are pros and cons
Pros.
Great Carbon fiber and metal parts.
rock solid design/ very rigid.
lots of room to put flight electronics
modular expandable design.
does not rely on threaded inserts that are epoxied onto carbon fiber like some other brands.
Cheaper then Cinestar and droidworx

Cons
Lots of parts, not all the same type of screw
potential weak point in removable arm (so far seems solid but need to run it through its paces)
All the mete parts, including the screws are aluminum, which make me nervous about eventual stripping. (plus screws are not magnetic which really messes with the way I do things)
more expensive then carbon core.

maxwelltub

Put together the frame, super awesome looking, and solid as a tank. I'll post some pictures today.
One concern I have is the length of the ESC to battery wire distance. I would say the total length of battery to PDB to ESC is probably a around 24 inches including battery leads. I have heard mixed reports on this damaging your escs but I have never personally had an issue. Does anyone know how long is pushing into the danger zone. Its clearly the shorter the better but any distance that is definitely two long?

EDIT: Figured it out. Also from battery to ESC will be closer to 12inches or under. i over estimated.

Last edited by a moderator:

maxwelltub

Nice Blayne! This sight looks pretty awesome. I look forward to checking out how it goes. Also Koollki, this frame does not seem excessively heavy. I looks like it would be because the booms are wide, but its all made of super light parts.

Blayne Chastain

MR, Heli & Sailplanes
Thanks Max! It is pretty amazing how light the parts are. No regrets so far. One interesting bit is that the motor mounts are not large enough for our U7s. GD says they'll be releasing larger motor mounts in the next week or so - which we'll be getting. If it's going to be longer than that we'll need to engineer them ourselves as we'd really like to get this built sooner than later for some upcoming shoots.

Nice Blayne! This sight looks pretty awesome. I look forward to checking out how it goes. Also Koollki, this frame does not seem excessively heavy. I looks like it would be because the booms are wide, but its all made of super light parts.

maxwelltub

Ya I noticed that after I got mine as well. Luckily for not I am using tiger motors that fit. The great thing about this frame is you can switch from x8 to flat 8, or switch to arms with different motors pretty easily. Are you using the GD quick connects for the inner arm? Also see on their site that they will be coming out with a Power board specifically for these frames.

Blayne Chastain

MR, Heli & Sailplanes
Not using the quick disconnects. They looks sweet but would rather not go proprietary on that. Just using bullets (Castle) and standard servo type connectors.

Ya I noticed that after I got mine as well. Luckily for not I am using tiger motors that fit. The great thing about this frame is you can switch from x8 to flat 8, or switch to arms with different motors pretty easily. Are you using the GD quick connects for the inner arm? Also see on their site that they will be coming out with a Power board specifically for these frames.

maxwelltub

Hey Blayne,
Do you have any knowledge on what GD is planning for their new PDB? They have had a high current sensor and GD frame PDB up on there website for a while with no pictures or description. Do you know anything about this? Great site also, I've been fallowing your build.

maxwelltub

Finally took my X8 up for the first maiden flight, and I am so freaken happy with this frame. Coming from a Carbon Core this thing is a solid tank. Still need to revisit my wiring to make it a little cleaner and shorten up some of the servo and battery leads. But initial flight performance seems great. Many more test to come.

chipwich

Blayne, thanks for taking the time to blog your build, along with the great photo work. Looking very much forward to the flight entry. Cheers.

Blayne Chastain

MR, Heli & Sailplanes
Congrats Max! & You're very welcome @chipwich! We should have the new larger motor mounts the week of the 10th so I'm going to try to have everything ready for when they arrive!

maxwelltub

Blayne had issues with the U7s and his escs. There was a lengthy and informative Facebook chat about it. I have a Herk III board and love it. I really dig this frame