First DJI F450 Build - T-motor question

Rayz305

Howdy everyone. After weeks and weeks of research, countless youtube videos, and quadcopter dreams (long story :)), I have finally begin purchasing my parts needed for building my first DJI F450. My obsession began with purchasing a Hubsan x4 107L and has been history since then, which got me to this hobby. Reason for my posting is I would like to get some opinions on the parts I'm going to be building. Along with parts being most basic, I would like to get an opinion on a certain motor I've had my eye on:

T-Motor Tiger Brushless Motor M2814 770KV

I've had my eye on this motor for about a week or so and it's something I would like to use on my quad build. Since I know I will be installing FPV system and possibly running dual 4s lipos, would this be a smart choice? 10" carbon fiber props will be used, along with quality 30A ESCs. A friend of mine who owns his own RC hobby shop recommended that I start with something lower, like 2214 or 2216 and then if I feel the need, to upgrade. But I really don't want to spend extra money to find out if I wish to upgrade or not, I just want to go straight to what I think "feels" right. I've seen videos on the gold ole' tube for these motors and their torque is insane. I fell in love as soon as I saw these motors in action and just knew I had to have it. Any ideas or opinions for these motors are highly appreciated.

Regards.

You've modelled this in eCalc?
Dual 4S batteries sounds heavy to begin with.

Will 10" props and those motors provide enough lift?

With my recent build, I use the F450 central boards, but I use the Aimdroix extended arms from ReadyMadeRC, which brings it out to 550 M-T-M.
On a unit length basis, these aluminium arms are slightly lighter than stock plastic arms.
With these you can accommodate up to 14" props, so you have plenty of wiggle room with prop sizes, not just be limited to 10".
Being aluminium these arms are stiffer over the plastic ones, which inherently introduce more stability.

I'm using the T-Motor MN3110-15 motors and T-Motor ESCs.

You'll see exactly what I'm referring to in these two short videos;

Some people scoff at the price of T-Motor stuff, but like anything, you get what you pay for.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rayz305

Thanks for the input Jindalee! I purchased the MT2814 770 kv motors and cf tmotor 10x3.3 props. Those props should be plenty enough lift as I've seen plenty videos with similar setup as mine. I also ordered the aimdroix extended aluminum and v1.5, whatever that version means :) if you would like, once I start building process I can keep you updated if your interested. I did take notice what you mentioned about running dual and am now thinking about single. Thanks again for your input.

Regards

fdproductions

FD Productions
BEAUTIFUL BUILD there Jind, just be careful with those 770kv's ive had one of my cclips fail on me midflight with these motors, couldn't believe the qc behind t- motor motors....
You've modelled this in eCalc?
Dual 4S batteries sounds heavy to begin with.

Will 10" props and those motors provide enough lift?

With my recent build, I use the F450 central boards, but I use the Aimdroix extended arms from ReadyMadeRC, which brings it out to 550 M-T-M.
On a unit length basis, these aluminium arms are slightly lighter than stock plastic arms.
With these you can accommodate up to 14" props, so you have plenty of wiggle room with prop sizes, not just be limited to 10".
Being aluminium these arms are stiffer over the plastic ones, which inherently introduce more stability.

I'm using the T-Motor MN3110-15 motors and T-Motor ESCs.

You'll see exactly what I'm referring to in these two short videos;

Some people scoff at the price of T-Motor stuff, but like anything, you get what you pay for.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rayz305

Not sure if it makes a difference, but I forgot to mention that I went with mt2814-10, rather than m2814-10.if anyone knows if there is a difference, please fill me in. I've seen more people go with the MT, so I'm guessing that's a more reliable choice?

phatdak

I was kinda like you at first.. trying to build the ideal machine.. went straight for a turbo matrix with anything and everything I could afford to throw into it.. lol.. I love it! its dope..!!! but, it was like your prized sports car that sits in the garage getting more tuning than use.. lol.. since then, ive purchased many different size motors and tried many difernt setups.. I honestly don't have a particular favorite, it just depends on what I want to do with it.. My cruising quad uses T-motor 3110 7ookv with 11" props.. I DO believe 2 batteries on 10" will be too heavy.. I currently use one 3s 5000 but will soon try double for the sake of trying... But as far as motors are concerned, those red 2212 920kv dji motors are also some of my favorites.. I use em on a 330 quad that I zip around the parking lot in... theyre cheap but good.. but definitely go for quality.. and it doesn't mean expensive.. just depends what u want them for.

phatdak

Not sure if it makes a difference, but I forgot to mention that I went with mt2814-10, rather than m2814-10.if anyone knows if there is a difference, please fill me in. I've seen more people go with the MT, so I'm guessing that's a more reliable choice?
MT is their entry/hobbyist level (although also labeld as "Professional" so probably more marketable and slightly cheaper.. THen MN is their next up with U being their commercial/industrial level.. U can see their huge selection of motors and specs on their website.. have some fun really digging in with ecalc and those specs and YOUR specs and you'll find some cool setups that aren't always just their typical MT2212 or MN2214

Rayz305

Awesome, thanks for the info phatdak! I too started with wanting a turbo ace but the pricing was insane! Lol decided to go with something little cheaper but do enjoy the diy experience. Gonna enjoy this new hobby :)