XAircraft First crash. Boo. Flipped on takeoff.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
ok, so maybe SuperX disregards any position inaccuracies for a brief period of time during/after the take off in order to avoid drifting. That would make sense.

mediaguru

Since all in this thread are GPS experts and I'm not, riddle me this.

My SX is normally rock solid. It normally hovers in place and does NOT move. Rotates on a dime. Close to my house though, it wants to fly INTO the side of my house when it should be hovering. I have to counteract it to keep it from crashing into the house. I assume the house or something near there is interfering with the GPS.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Since all in this thread are GPS experts and I'm not, riddle me this.

My SX is normally rock solid. It normally hovers in place and does NOT move. Rotates on a dime. Close to my house though, it wants to fly INTO the side of my house when it should be hovering. I have to counteract it to keep it from crashing into the house. I assume the house or something near there is interfering with the GPS.

i seem to remember reading somewhere that GPS signals can reflect off of nearby surfaces and cause errors in the time calculations used in determining position. maybe? i'd have to go looking for the reference supporting my post but no time tonight to look into it,.

lots of electrical fields around houses also so the magnetometers in the heli may be getting jacked up when you're too close

PMaughan

Here you go! seeing as how you might be a bit challenged finding it yourself here is a video done by a guy flying SuperX just a little longer than me, you'll get a good idea about the early SX, it has had 1 firmware upgrade since the video.

X

Watch this film that you, please don't skip over the you word in this sentence, posted. When the RTH is being demonstrated the aircraft lands 2-3 metres from the take off point. It's in the video that you, yourself, posted David. And again this is absolutely not a dig at SX but just pointing out the nature of GPS.

X650Mouse

Take no prisoners
That time frame was pre the SuperX 1.08 firmware upgrade, and was posted regarding GPS Hold, please refer to my video wherein 2 RTH were recorded, in reality 3 RTH landing were done in the video making.

I'd say less than 12" in each case, anyway time to move on.

X

Last edited by a moderator:

PMaughan

Yes I think we will have to move on David.

All the best over Christmas.

Pete

mediaguru

i seem to remember reading somewhere that GPS signals can reflect off of nearby surfaces and cause errors in the time calculations used in determining position. maybe? i'd have to go looking for the reference supporting my post but no time tonight to look into it,.

lots of electrical fields around houses also so the magnetometers in the heli may be getting jacked up when you're too close

Thanks for that. Seems logical. I'd prefer to do test flights in a more open area, the tweak-fly-tweak-fly cycle makes that hard. I just need to stay clear of my house. Almost saw the bird crash into the 2nd floor, careem off of the garage roof and splatter on the driveway.

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
Well, I always take off in GPS mode and never had an issue. Where I have seen other people have issues is because they take off too slowly and this can easily cause a tip over on take off as a skid catches on the ground with the FC trying to compensate. Best thing I can recommend is just give it the beans and get it off the deck. I really do not think that GPS accuracy has anything to do with what has been going on in the thread.

Zirt57

Bart:
The OP made specific reference to RTH being 2 - 3 meters from take off point, in my 200+ flights with SX I have never seen that from many flying locations, I made the video to prove my point and discredit what he claimed, plain and simple.

As to your comments on my attitude Noted!

More than likely the same individual who accused me of being somebody else in another forum

Merry Christmas

X

Reporting people is not the nature of THIS beast. So sorry, twas someone else.

Merry Christmas everyone.

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
Actually- to clear things up and so people dont point fingers- it was myself in my roles as a moderator. I spoke to Bart about what I saw as inappropriate behavior but rather than wade in with both feet, I discussed it with Bart what was appropriate action from the mods and he posted for me.

Aerovideo

More than likely the same individual who accused me of being somebody else in another forum

Merry Christmas

X

Wasn't me, I've never reported anyone for anything on any forum.

Whoops, as usual... I'm too slow. Already cleared up.