XAircraft First crash. Boo. Flipped on takeoff.

PMaughan

Suggest you watch some YouTube videos for SuperX, many have been made by users showing the accuracy of position and maintaining station in all types of wind, needless to say many users are from the DJI camp and won't go back.

SX has a logging system called black box that records all data from the FC this can then be played back for problem solving of reliving the flight here can also be seen, to 6 decimal places the GPS coordinates of the entire flight.

Please do your research! it is not my thing to try to convince you, other than to say your comments were not related to the OP's question.

X
I don't need convincing thanks, just reiterating what Kloner talked about earlier in the thread which perhaps you haven't read.
"the heading magnetism showed an awful lot of movement for it sitting still.... gps lock was not even close to solid in the last graph,,, it showed good on the first graphs that it crashed on."

and a further question relating to why it wouldn't be a good idea to take off in GPS.

Super X accuracy is 1m plus or minus vertical and 2m plus or minus horizontal, just read the manual, so I would say that it isn't good practice to talk off or land in GPS.

Pete

X650Mouse

Take no prisoners
so I would say that it isn't good practice to talk off or land in GPS.

Pete

Well your the expert! I wouldn't talk off in GPS either but I do and have, for probably 200 + flights taken off in GPS mode because I'm a lazy bugger and initially just like my X650 to sit there whilst I do an in flight check.

Still if and when you get yours you can fly it your way Merry Christmas, moving on!

X

X650Mouse

Take no prisoners
I don't need convincing thanks, just reiterating what Kloner talked about earlier in the thread which perhaps you haven't read.
"the heading magnetism showed an awful lot of movement for it sitting still.... gps lock was not even close to solid in the last graph,,, it showed good on the first graphs that it crashed on."

and a further question relating to why it wouldn't be a good idea to take off in GPS.

Super X accuracy is 1m plus or minus vertical and 2m plus or minus horizontal, just read the manual, so I would say that it isn't good practice to talk off or land in GPS.

Pete

Here you go! seeing as how you might be a bit challenged finding it yourself here is a video done by a guy flying SuperX just a little longer than me, you'll get a good idea about the early SX, it has had 1 firmware upgrade since the video.

X

Last edited by a moderator:

PMaughan

Thanks for the video link anyway, shame about the unnecessary derogatory comment, but the video actually backs up my point.
4 mins in he pulls back the aircraft and it seeks to go to where it thinks it should be which can be a problem on take off, this is what I was trying to explain earlier and when he does the RTH it lands 2-3 metres away from its take off point which shows the inaccuracy of GPS.

Super X, DJI, doesn't matter, they both use the same GPS signals.

Pumpkinguy

Guys. Sorry I sparked this conflict. Please be nice. Thanks for taking you time to explain things. I understand the theories now and will draw my own conclusion by the information provided. I watched that Ali video a couple weeks ago and was impressed by the holding accuracy.

Ps. Be nice :)

mediaguru

I blogged about getting my bird back up and running. I've been more cautious since the flip and had no issues. I'd conclude that it was pilot error at this point, taking off too quickly. Once in a while the bird does want to go a bit sideways when taking off. Not sure if that's a motor power thing or a GPS thing. If a leg seems to catch a bit I just give it a tiny bit more throttle, not too much. I used to use auto-takeoff but not much anymore and no flips since. Not even close.

Regarding landing X650Mouse is correct. The SX is SO solid on gps lock. I almost always land in GPS mode. I can literally position it 15-20 feet above the landing area, put my throttle at 40-45% so it descends very gently, and not touch anything else. Landing my SX bird is far easier than any other I've tried.

Pumpkinguy

I will be doing many, many test flights before the camera and gimbal are installed. Would I be correct to say a flip is more possible without the extra weight down between the landing gear as it would clearly lower the center of gravity? I may do my initial test with the equivalent weigh of camera and gimbal strapped to the underside.

noid1037

Have a quick question... I have been experiencing the same issue of taking off and my quad drifting to the right. I have tried to calibrate the sticks and the quad several times. I have tried each time with the quad in GPS mode....

Question: How does the gain setting from the Spektrum TX affect the flight of the quad? I have it around zero using a Spektrum TX-RX setup... wondered what others were setting the gain from the radio on and how gain will improve the flight experience?

Do most of you guys have the gain setting on SuperX FC?

Thanks/

Aerovideo

Can you explain your comment on how I might be challenged finding a video on YouTube?

We kind of have a special place for comments from David aka X650Mouse :) While he can be incredibly helpful and is quite knowledgable it is IMPOSSIBLE for him to reply without snide or derogatory additions. It's truly amazing. A thread never gets dull with him around :)

I've had takeoff flips with a variety of FC's and for me I've found I'm more successful if I take off in manual mode and pop it off the ground quickly. As soon as it's off the ground the FC can make corrections. I think slower takeoffs can be a bit more problematic as the FC is trying to make corrections while still in contact with the ground. Not to say it can't be done, I just personally think it's more difficult.

The info from Kloner and PMaughan about the GPS on the ground does make sense but as David pointed out many people have successfully taken off in GPS mode.

Paul

X650Mouse

Take no prisoners
Guys. Sorry I sparked this conflict. Please be nice. Thanks for taking you time to explain things. I understand the theories now and will draw my own conclusion by the information provided. I watched that Ali video a couple weeks ago and was impressed by the holding accuracy.

Ps. Be nice :)

It is Christmas time and I should not get annoyed, sadly it is the nature of the beast!. so get over it!

I was particularly annoyed as here was an OP trying to tell me how my SuperX should perform over the 200+ flights it has had! especially as he had not flown a SuperX and was comparing it to DJI hardware. :cool:

So this morning I got up early and did a video showing all the features that the OP stated the SuperX couldn't do WELL! things like Auto take off, GPS hold, Attitude hold and Safe mode (RTH) all within magical tolerances. :p

To those that do have SuperX, if yours doesn't perform like this video then I suggest you look to your other hardware. :D

mediaguru

With my SX I've taken off successfully in GPS mode at least 200 times. One bad time, probably getting too quick on the throttle.

mediaguru

I will be doing many, many test flights before the camera and gimbal are installed. Would I be correct to say a flip is more possible without the extra weight down between the landing gear as it would clearly lower the center of gravity? I may do my initial test with the equivalent weigh of camera and gimbal strapped to the underside.

Even though I flipped once, I'm not THAT worried about it. To answer your question, the size of the copter would have an impact. For instance, my gains and setup are tweaked for about a 7KG setup. If I were to remove the gimbal and camera I'd be knocking that down quite a bit and the bird would get quite squirly with the same gains.

PMaughan

We kind of have a special place for comments from David aka X650Mouse :) While he can be incredibly helpful and is quite knowledgable it is IMPOSSIBLE for him to reply without snide or derogatory additions. It's truly amazing. A thread never gets dull with him around :)

I've had takeoff flips with a variety of FC's and for me I've found I'm more successful if I take off in manual mode and pop it off the ground quickly. As soon as it's off the ground the FC can make corrections. I think slower takeoffs can be a bit more problematic as the FC is trying to make corrections while still in contact with the ground. Not to say it can't be done, I just personally think it's more difficult.

The info from Kloner and PMaughan about the GPS on the ground does make sense but as David pointed out many people have successfully taken off in GPS mode.

Paul

It is Christmas time and I should not get annoyed, sadly it is the nature of the beast!. so get over it!

I was particularly annoyed as here was an OP trying to tell me how my SuperX should perform over the 200+ flights it has had! especially as he had not flown a SuperX and was comparing it to DJI hardware. :cool:

So this morning I got up early and did a video showing all the features that the OP stated the SuperX couldn't do WELL! things like Auto take off, GPS hold, Attitude hold and Safe mode (RTH) all within magical tolerances. :p

To those that do have SuperX, if yours doesn't perform like this video then I suggest you look to your other hardware. :D

You really are a piece of work, I guess you are about 14 and going through that unsettling rage against the machine period? You certainly come across that way.

Can you show me where I stated that SX couldn't do something well? I was simply commenting on the fact that taking off in GPS with any flight controller may cause problems and as it really isn't that difficult to take off in Atti that would be a better way to go especially on a heavier machine. If it works for you then jolly good. I have no idea or interest if you fly in different areas or just the same area but GPS is not the same every where so should be treated with caution. Again this applies to ANY flight controller not just your beloved. Have you actually used a DJI product like WKM?

Look SX is clearly a good flight controller but your dogma is frankly a worry and has blinded you to what I was saying...open your eyes.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!

and for that reason someone contacted me to ask Mr. X650Mouse to please mind his manners a bit more.

so, Mr. X650Mouse, please just mind your manners a bit more, a lot more is accomplished when we're not rubbing each other in odd and unproductive ways.

Bartman

"nature of the beast"?? please tell me it isn't so and that I won't have to be concerned about future unsavory episodes with you?

we have a thing here where we conduct ourselves in a way that is helpful and civil and by being this way we all get a huge benefit from the site. it either works for you or it doesn't. if it doesn't then I'll be back in touch to discuss it with you.

please bring us more of the "incredibly helpful" X650Mouse and less of the naturally snide and beastial X650Mouse. Be the Mouse that we can all know and love! :)

Thanks,
Bart

Bartman

LOL sorry that is not the case with SuperX, best you get SuperX then comment. :rolleyes:

He wasn't walking about SuperX specifically, he was talking about the nature of GPS and how it works across all flight controllers.

Civilian GPS will have its good and bad days. On a good day in a good location you might get accuracy to a couple of feet or better. On a bad day in a bad location with any number of variables stacking up to make GPS perform poorly you might get 20 to 30 feet accuracy.

So while sitting on the ground, even with a bunch of satellites in view, it may be working harder to establish where it thinks it is and its idea of a position may be ten feet away from where it is on the ground. As soon as it has the control authority to move to where it thinks it is supposed to be it will start moving and if the gear are close enough to the ground to get caught on something then it will cause a crash.

Bart

X650Mouse

Take no prisoners
Bart:
The OP made specific reference to RTH being 2 - 3 meters from take off point, in my 200+ flights with SX I have never seen that from many flying locations, I made the video to prove my point and discredit what he claimed, plain and simple.

As to your comments on my attitude Noted!

and for that reason someone contacted me to ask Mr. X650Mouse to please mind his manners a bit more.

More than likely the same individual who accused me of being somebody else in another forum

Merry Christmas

X

Bartman

Bart:
The OP made specific reference to RTH being 2 - 3 meters from take off point, in my 200+ flights with SX I have never seen that from many flying locations, I made the video to prove my point and discredit what he claimed, plain and simple.

As to your comments on my attitude Noted!

More than likely the same individual who accused my of being somebody else in another forum

Merry Christmas

X

I'm sorry but you can't discredit the point that GPS positions are fairly inaccurate because it is the nature of civilian GPS. Civilian GPS is has a certain amount of inaccuracy built into it on purpose. That was his point.

You might be having a good experience with your heli and that might have something to do with technique in that I'd guess you pop up off the ground more aggressively so if the heli starts to drift it doesn't get hung up and tip over. The accuracy of a GPS position can vary though and that was the real point of the post to which you reacted.

Merry Christmas to you too!

X650Mouse

Take no prisoners
You might be having a good experience with your heli and that might have something to do with technique in that I'd guess you pop up off the ground more aggressively so if the heli starts to drift it doesn't get hung up and tip over. The accuracy of a GPS position can vary though and that was the real point of the post to which you reacted.

Merry Christmas to you too!

No! it's a feature of SX! if within 3 seconds of arming the motors you move the thrust stick to 50% on your radio, SX executes an automatic take off, as seen in the video, flipping over is more than likely to occur if you don't pilot correctly.

X