First Build, First flight, can't fly... help

roryhinds

Hi there

I'm new to this forum and have built a DJI F550 with Wookong M, using 10" props and 1x Zippy 5S 5000mAh battery.
My controller is a Futaba T10CG with R6014HS receiver.

Everything built fine and tested, I set up the Wookong MC using the software.

I first tried flying in ATTI mode and when I went to do a test flight I can't control the F550 very well. It barely takes off and while still on the ground leans to one side.

I'm thinking as I have no clue about setting up the Futaba T10CG that maybe I haven't set it up correctly?

From all the videos I've seen online it should take off and hover easily but with mine I think I'm doing something so very wrong.

Please could someone be so kind as to help me get flying.

Thanks in advance
Cheers
Rory

Dubliners

Can't help with the radio set up but if you can take off you might have it right. Search for Gains settings on here. Don't know what mine are but TRIPLE check the direction of motors/props and fly with the 8" props. Mine did exactly the same as yours and I had two motors wired incorrectly, got that sorted and the 10" props made it fly less stable than a beginner like me felt was right. Switched to 8" and it flies better than my S800 WKM. PS. I'm flying with a Naza, so the WKM should be even more stable I suspect.

VINHEX

I agree first thing is check rotation on props, next is COG is correct, if this is an F550 kit with 30a ESC DJI also recommend 3 or 4s batteries not sure if this will make a difference flying with 5s. F550 love 8" props or 10x5 Graupner.

Vin
DJI F550, DJI WKM, DJI DataLink 2.4Ghz, 3s 3300, 3s 5000, Aeroxcraft Landing Gear, Graupner 10x5 e-Props, Spektrum DX8, AR8000 Receiver
TM1000, Fatshark Attitude SD, Sony Exview Had II CCD 650 Line Sony Effio-E
Fatshark Spironet Antenna's, Bank balance 0.00
DJI iOSD

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
Sounds to me, motor rotation and props.

Here is how your motors should turn, first off, remove the blades and test rotation. Put a piece of tape on the motor shaft to help with this..

Looking from behind the Hexa to the front, here is your motor number and its rotation...

M1 is the Front right with a counter clockwise rotation
M2 is the Front left with a clockwise rotation
M3 is the Left with a counter clockwise rotation
M4 is the Rear Left with a clockwise rotation
M5 is the Rear right with a counter clockwise rotation
M6 is the Right with a clockwise rotation

It is important that you also have the correct plug in the correct position for the ESC's to the WKM. Once your sure you have all motors rotating the right way, make sure you install your props to cut into the air with an upward cut forcing the air down.

Doing this one at a time, you can test the downward draft by running your motors with the blades in place. Keep your fingers away from the blades, they will cut you very easy.

Take your time, let us know what you find... and trust me, this is an easy mistake to make, I did it 3 times before figuring it out... lol

janoots2

After you double check all the aforementioned items, when you take off, "pop" it off the ground quickly. WKM doesn't like slow takeoffs, but loves being airborne. It just takes some confidence.

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
Ohh, I just noticed your using 5S lipo, DJI motors and ESCs are not rated for 5S, you will smoke them out. 3S or 4S Lipos only.

roryhinds

Thanks you all. I re-tested the rotation of my motors and I had Motor 1 set the wrong way. I installed the 8" props and just tested it and it takes off fine now. Its dark out now so I'll have to wait till tomorrow to play some more. Boy this is fun.

Thanks so much for all your help, I really appreciate it.
This is a trainer for me and I must say I'm hooked already.

I have to learn the Futaba manual as I'm having problems setting the 3 position switch for Intelligent Orientation Control, just can't figure out how to change the "Governor" settings like I did fine with the 3 position flight mode switch.

Sorry I meant to type 4S 5000mAh battery. I don't have the 5S.
With the props... and cut side... Is it correct to install the props with the embossed printed numbers of the props facing up towards the sky?

This is challenging to start out but I must say I am loving the learning curve and getting this all to work.

Will let you guys know how I get on with my flight tomorrow.

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
Yes, the embossed goes up! Glad you got it sorted out, hard to believe one motor or prop can give so much problems huh?

janoots2

You will get it up and it will all be worth it, can't wait to see the aerial shots you'll get, just be safe. I used to watch all the videos of the in house tests and figured as soon as I built my rig I could hover it in my game room. Yeah ... Well... After trying to slowly lift off a wkm x8 slowly and it taking a front dive into my wife's vinyl blinds...shattering them and my graupner props...I feel can now give advice :) (plus another added year of hard knocks)

Last edited by a moderator:

roryhinds

I went out flying today, there was a bit of wind but couldn't help the excitement.
Managed really well and am super happy. I'm out in the Rocky Mountains of BC, Canada so there is snow everywhere.

I'm thinking I'll wrap my F550 body in plastic wrap to avoid snow getting into the MC and Wookong parts.
Either plastic wrap or just tape it closed to close in the body.
Are there any negative aspects of doing this?
How are others flying and landing in the snow and keeping the electronics snow free?

I have to figure out how to program my Futaba T10CG for fail safe.

janoots2

It might mess with the IMU as there is a little hole in it next to where the wire come out that detects air pressure. If you seal this, it might be an issue. Not sure though...

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
Watch for condensation, cold devices into warm will possibly condense on your equipment. I have flown in light snow recently, not sure how much snow you have, but the down draft of the props seem to keep the snow clear...

Glad your having fun with it, they are fun and have many uses..

Ali Shanmao has a video you might want to watch, he has several on setting up Naza and WKM. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aF8wA93If8

roryhinds

Thanks I'll keep an eye on it.

The issue I'm having isn't from falling snow as I'm flying on a blue bird sunny day, my issue is hard landing into the snow pack and snow getting into the body and jamming in around the electronics.

I don't know what else to do except to seal the body closed to avoid snow getting in.

Any ideas?

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
I have seen some people making a landing pad out of cardboard or a rubber mat from in a car or something.... Could help you hone your landing skills too. :)

roryhinds

I ended up cutting a transparent round tupperware container that the F550 sits in now and makes a great case to keep the electronics away from the snow :)

I went out flying today, there was a bit of wind but couldn't help the excitement.
Managed really well and am super happy. I'm out in the Rocky Mountains of BC, Canada so there is snow everywhere.

I'm thinking I'll wrap my F550 body in plastic wrap to avoid snow getting into the MC and Wookong parts.
Either plastic wrap or just tape it closed to close in the body.
Are there any negative aspects of doing this?
How are others flying and landing in the snow and keeping the electronics snow free?

I have to figure out how to program my Futaba T10CG for fail safe.

You definitely want to get the electronics off the snow. I you are going to fly where there is snow (I am from Quebec) I would be very convenient and safe to get some sort of landing gear (X-468 or anything like this) to keep the belley off the white stuff. Worst come to worst, a simple dowel extention (4 to 5 inches) on 3 legs attached with tie wrap around the actual landing mini legs would also work for a while. This is what I got on my F450. My F550 has a carbon fiber LG (X-468) .

Nice rig to start with.... take it easy, it has no wings....

Good luck!