First Build - F550 Parts List Help

Delons

Hey guys,

I'm looking to build my first Hexacopter and this is my parts list:

Summitlink® DJI Flamewheel F550 Prop Guard Propeller Protector Tool-Free Quick Snap On
Neewer RC800 7inch Wireless FPV Integrated Monitor with 5.8G 32CH Receiver & DVR Recorder
GoPro Hero 1 Hero 2 to FPV Transmitter Video Out Cable
Boscam TS351+RC805 5.8G FPV 200mW AV Transmitter TX 2KM for 5.8GHz Rx Receiver
ZJchao(TM) FPV Anti-vibration Multifunction Landing Skid Kit for DJI F450 F550 Quadcopter Hexacopter
Turnigy 9X 9Ch Transmitter w/ Module & 8ch Receiver
Turnigy 5000mAh 3S 20C Lipo Battery Pack
DJI Zenmuse H3-3D 3 Axis High Performance Gimbal for GoPro Hero3/Hero3+ StandardVersion For Phantom 1 and Flamewheel
DJI E300 Hexacopter Tuned Propulsion System
HD Hero2 Surf Camera
Hobbypower F550 6-axis Multi-rotor Hexacopter Frame Airframe Kit Integrated PCB Wiring
Dji Naza-M Lite & Gps Combo Set
Neewer® 7-8 inch RC FPV Aerial Monitor Carbon Fiber Folding Holder Stand Display Support

I want to know if there is anything else that I will need and if it will all work together. Is there any way to get telemetry from the copter onto the monitor that I'm buying? What connectors and wires will I need to connect everything? Will that battery be enough, what will get me the longest flight time? How fast will the copter be able to go? I am also a licensed Amateur Radio Operator, would I be able to do anything differently because of that? Will I be able to control the gimbal using the controller?

I am looking to spend less than 1400. I want to be able to use this for ariel photography and some video and just to fly around and play with.

I am open to alternatives that may give me better performance.

Thanks!

Roto5411

Get at least a Boscam TS832 600mW transmitter ($49.95 on Banggood.com). The 200mW is too weak. With the 600mW you will get decent breakup free video up to 122 meters but there will be angles where you will lose the signal (just the nature of microwave). I just ordered a Boscam 2000mW transmitter to see if I get better range.

Delons

Awesome, thanks! I'm going to hold off on the FPV and Camera gear until I learn how to fly the thing.

Today I bought

F550 Frame
Turnigy 9X Transmitter
DJI E300 Motors
F550 Prop Guards
5000 mAh 3S 25C Battery
Lipo Charger
Naza-M V2

I'm going to get that assembled when everything comes, and then learn how to fly it!

hexhome

Television Broadcast Engineer, SUSA operator
If 200mw is not giving sufficient range, just upping the power is not only masking the problem but possibly creating more issues. I would check your antennas and make sure your channel's match.

Roto5411

Delons,
My biggest issue in the beginning with my F550's was getting the battery voltage set right in the NAZA V2 software. I finally settled on the following, and then I will explain why:
First Level 13.60 (no loss) 0.4 (loss) 13.20 (loaded)
Second Level 12.8 (no loss) 0.4 (loss) 12.4 (loaded)
The idea is never discharge your lithium batteries to below 80% of charge. A fully charged 4C battery is approximately 16.8 volts. 80% is 13.44V or 3.36V per cell. The voltages that you set in the NAZA software don't ever seem to correspond to actual battery voltage left in the battery when you get finished flying. I'm not sure why this is the case, that is why getting the voltage set right has been such a pain in the butt and even after a year of flying I'm still not sure if I have the best settings programmed. The last setting I tried was first level 14.0 .4 13.2 and 13.0 .4 12.6 second level. The machine was auto landing (and when it hits the second level it comes down fast-almost a controlled crash) and I still had more than 80% left in the battery. If you use the default levels the machine will be landing way too early and you won't be getting maximum use of the battery. When the indicator starts flashing red, put it down ASAP. You will have approximately 30 seconds to get it on the ground before the NAZA auto lands your machine.
Recommend you buy a timer and keep it close by so you can time your flights. I bought a big stop watch at WallyWorld for like $18. Its a lifesaver when I can remember to hit the start button!!!
Some flyers don't set the battery voltages in their NAZA, reason being they would rather ruin a battery rather than crash their machine if they forget and fly too long. I guess the reason why I set mine is because I often forget to set the stopwatch before I takeoff.

Roto5411

Sorry, gave you figures for 4C batteries. I got 19 minutes yesterday afternoon with a Zippy 4-cell 8000mAh 30C LiPo on my 5.6 lbs F550. I really like these batteries, and they fit perfectly mounted sideways on the top F550 plate.
I use 2700mAh 3-cells on my F450 and only get about 7 minutes on them. I will get you the voltage settings for the 3-cell the next time I hook the 450 up to the computer if you would like them.

Delons

The first few pieces arrived today!

5bshdt.jpg

Delons

I bought some more stuff last night, while still waiting for my motors to come in...

Smartieparts Board

Turnigy 9X Backlight

4mm Bannana Plug

FrSky Failsafe Module

DJI iOSD Mini

F550 Landing Gear

FPV Monitor Bracket

7in FPV Monitor with built in 5.8Ghz and DVR

200mw Transmitter

Pre-Built connector for GoPro, iOSD, and Transmitter

1500mAh LiFe Battery for the Turnigy 9X and FPV Monitor

eskil23

Wikipedia Photographer
I'm also building a F550. I can toss in my list for reference
* DJI FlameWheel F550 ARF (the E300 propulsion system included)
* Alexmos FPV 3-axis brushless gimbal
* Nikon J3 with a 10 mm f/2,8 lens
* iOSD mini
* HDMI-to-AV converter
* 1,2 GHz 100mW video link
* 7" TFT-screen
* Turnigy 9X

I already have the J3 so I decided to build the system around that. A GoPro is good enough for FPV and video, but not realy for aerial photography. If it's too heavy, I'll have to upgrade to the E600 propulsion system and longer arms.
I have not yet decided what battery to use, but it will probably be something like 5000 mAh 4S

Roto5411

I recently had to make a trip up to Colorado and got the opportunity to fly my F550 several times over a huge wide open ranch. I found that my transmitter only has a range of about 250 meters while the machine is low to the ground. I was flying over a herd of deer and all of a sudden the machine popped up to 60 feet, smoothly turned 180 degrees and flew back to me! I switched to ATT when it got about 100 feet away and took control back. Had it happen at least twice and each time it was at about 250/260 meters. Nice to know the feature works as advertised. Using the DEVO 7 controller.
Delons: please post a pic of your finished machine.