First attempt at acro didn't go too well - gain settings too conservative?

Solder Monkey

Hi all,

Coming from an aerial videography background, acro is completely new to me. I recently built an F330 (from parts I had lying around) for the purpose of experimenting/learning with loops etc., took a deep breath, set the naza to manual mode and attempted my first loop today....

It didn't go too well (quad didn't loop fast enough and hit the deck from about 30' after a gradual loop, despite maximum pitch stick input). It didn't go too badly either, in that the quad survived hitting the soft ground I had purposefully picked for the attempt! :)

The F330 has DJI2212/920kv motors, MR-RC 30A ESCs (Simon K firmware), Naza lite (with Naza V2 hack), Turnigy 3000mAH 3S 30-40C battery, and DJI 8045 props.

I have set the transmitter pot for variable gain settings so I'm not sure exactly what the gain was set to at the time, but my suspicion is that it was just too sluggish to complete a fast loop. Either that or the quad is just completely underpowered for acro.

I might try a livelier gain setting for the next attempt, but I wanted to seek advice before trying it, in case the quad doesn't survive the next crash!

Any ideas?

henrysj

make sure your not dropping below 10% on your throttle so you can still control the quad at the top of the roll when it's inverted. I've adjusted the throttle curve so using a spare switch it will always stay above 10%