Firmware 5.06 warning

iceman

I upgraded my WKM to 5.06 on Monday thinking I might see an improvement in stability with my heavy lift AD6, after checking and double checking everything I took the rig out on Tuesday for a test flight, all looked fine for the first 5mins but then I noticed that in forward flight altitude hold wasn't very good so brought it back to land. As I got back to a hover it slowly started to drift backwards so I compensated with forward stick (now in atti.mode) I quickly switched to GPS atti. mode to see if this would help but no change, at this point I was full forward stick but the hexa just kept increasingly pitching backwards to the point where I had no control so I had no choice but to bring it down hard and fast from about 12 feet resulting in a damaged skid (really lucky there was not more damage). I immediately removed the dome to get a quick look and do some crash investigation, I immediately noticed the ESCs were really HOT!!! Noticeably more than normal, as were the motors. After repairing the landing skid I reverted to 5.02, tested everything without props and then took her back out yesterday for a test and everything was back to normal. I'm not touching 5.06 with a barge poll, has anyone had similar problems?

Andy

DennyR

Were you seeing any red lights when it started to come down. It sounds like a low battery problem.

iceman

No red lights, battery warning would be yellow anyway. Batteries were fully charged and I usually get a minimum of 10 mins before I would expect to see first warnings and the problem started at 6 mins into the flight. Did see a couple of white lights flashing about 3mins into the flight but I didnt notice any during the drifting backwards problem.

iceman

HiModel pro 30amp, been running them for months with no problem but as soon as I installed 5.06 the hexa just started to drift back after 5 mins of flight, it was as if motor no.4 was not responding.

ddmt

HiModel pro, probably the same hobbywing fentium/funfly series. My friend who's using HW funfly 30A also has this over heat problem with the new firmware (5.06). No problem with 5.02

iceman

I think it might be possible that the ESC on motor No.4 may have reached a temprature whereby it either shut down or backed off the throttle/power to that motor (poss a temperature/safety feature of ESC) There can't be any perminent damage because I did two 10min back to back flights yesterday on firmware 5.02 and everything was fine.

Last edited by a moderator:

jugg

Wow... has the same problem with mine.

Where can i find the assistans 5.02 so i dont fly with 5.06?

iceman

Wow... has the same problem with mine.

Where can i find the assistans 5.02 so i dont fly with 5.06?

DJI website has the new and previous firmware here http://www.dji-innovations.com/minisite/index_en.html My title was WARNING and I hope others read this before they fly so they can at least be aware of potential problems. I am sure the problem was a heat related one because I have never felt my motors and ESCs so hot running 5.02, it must have been a thermal shut down of the ESC.

steph280

I also noticed increased motor temperature (didnt check the ESC) since the upgrade. Haven't had a shutdown yet but I am worried now summer is around the corner...

meme

Well, after reading so much about the new Firmware Version i'll continue to keep the PC offline when i have to launch the WKM Assistant :)
Thanks for sharing

-meme

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I have not had any serious issues with the new firmware but the yaw twitch. I am using maytech v1's and avrotos. I dont think they get any hotter than before. I always touch them right after a flight to check and they seem pretty similar. I couldnt find 5.02 to revert back to so I am glad you have a link.

jugg

I use Tigermotors, and they don't get hot, but the esc does...

What props does people use... i tried the 11x7 APC first but changed them for 12x3,8 APC... worked better with the 5.06 but will revert to 5.02 again.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
get the best performance with graupner 11x5's. have tried 11 and 12 apc SF. I like the added thrust but they are so flexible and the disc loading isnt high enough for my craft.

iceman

I'm also using Graupner 11x5's, I always check the temp (by hand) of each motor and ESC after a flight just make sure there is no excessive heat. Never had a problem with temps. after flying with 5.02 but motors and ESCs were very hot under 5.06. I think (and hope) DJI look in to this problem because something is sure wrong here!

EgonW3

I also had a problem with 5.06. After upgrade from F450 to F550 I've also upgraded firmware from 5.02 to 5.06. Motor load was only 10% higher then in my F450, but motors were hot after short flight (ESC was also much warmer then usually). In third flight my copter was hovering 1m above ground for a few minutes without any control input (I wasn't even touching the transmiter) when suddenly it flipped without any reason, breaking one Graupner 10x5 propeller. After replacing it I've downgraded firmware to 5.02 and my motors are at most warm (barely above ambient) and ESCs are cold.
It looks like 5.06 is not well debugged.

Last edited by a moderator:

iceman

Maybe we should all send DJI a bill for our repairs due to poor firmware, I think they must have shares in other MR businesses!

sharonx

I upgraded my WKM to 5.06 on Monday thinking I might see an improvement in stability with my heavy lift AD6, after checking and double checking everything I took the rig out on Tuesday for a test flight, all looked fine for the first 5mins but then I noticed that in forward flight altitude hold wasn't very good so brought it back to land. As I got back to a hover it slowly started to drift backwards so I compensated with forward stick (now in atti.mode) I quickly switched to GPS atti. mode to see if this would help but no change, at this point I was full forward stick but the hexa just kept increasingly pitching backwards to the point where I had no control so I had no choice but to bring it down hard and fast from about 12 feet resulting in a damaged skid (really lucky there was not more damage). I immediately removed the dome to get a quick look and do some crash investigation, I immediately noticed the ESCs were really HOT!!! Noticeably more than normal, as were the motors. After repairing the landing skid I reverted to 5.02, tested everything without props and then took her back out yesterday for a test and everything was back to normal. I'm not touching 5.06 with a barge poll, has anyone had similar problems?

Andy

I had the exact same problem but with 5.02, after switching to 5.06 it didn't happen again. But ESCs do run hot.
Mine drove 45 degrees forwrad and in increasing rate as well.

While flying with extra 1000g it happened much faster so I guess it is hot esc's issue.

Any new ideas about that ?
I thought of putting small fan near the ESC's