Finding Z axis COG - video

Gunter

Draganflyer X4
I have seen the question asked many times on here how to find the center of gravity on the WKM so I braved the winter weather and made a short video in the workshop on how I do it. There may be other ways, but this to me is the easiest and most accurate.

Last edited by a moderator:

AIRCONROB

Thanks for that Gunter, for a newbe like me it makes perfect scence now:), hope I havn't taken too much of your time.

Cheers

Rob

Gunter

Draganflyer X4
Thanks for that Gunter, for a newbe like me it makes perfect scence now:), hope I havn't taken too much of your time.

Cheers

Rob

Rob, no problem at all, I have tried to explain it to other people before but it is difficult without a video! Something I have been meaning to do for a while.

Great video Gunter

seems like you need to get some heating sorted for you man cave

keith

Aye, I have been meaning to get a gas space heater but never found the time or money!

Gunter.

AIRCONROB

I have seen the question asked many times on here how to find the center of gravity on the WKM so I braved the winter weather and made a short video in the workshop on how I do it. There may be other ways, but this to me is the easiest and most accurate.

Gunter sorry to be a pain in the back side, I understand how to balance the COG of the Z axis from you video clip now:), But i was under the impression that the compas was measured from centre of it to the centre of the IMU, I've looked through your clip a few times coz i thought i missed something out, and i believe i have. Am i wright in thinking that the compas reading, is from centre of it down to where you found the COG for the IMU Z axis, not down to half way up the IMU if that makes any sence. Also does it matter if I put the IMU smack dead in the centre coz i noticed yours is offset?

Cheers

Rob

Gunter

Draganflyer X4
Rob, the compass/gps is measured from the COG ie the lower plate I showed on my video, not from the imu.

Yes, my IMU is off centre but you can measure that and enter the correct offset into the assistant software. Just make sure you get the + and - directions correct according to the diagram.

Regards,

Gunter.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gunter

Draganflyer X4
If the IMU is bang on the middle, the value will be 0 in the assistant for x and y.

Regards,

Gunter.

gadgetkeith

likes gadgets
hey Gunter

check out screwfix etc for space heater i got one a couple of years back paid about £80 just add a calor gas or propane bottle job done 15kg bottle lasts ages

my garage ie man cave is about 35-40 square meters after 10mins with heater on gets to warm and need to turn it off for a while

keith

mbsteed

aerial video centric
Yes, that makes it much clearer.

However, shouldn't you have a camera onboard to be accurate?

Thank you for the video.

Gunter

Draganflyer X4
Yes, that makes it much clearer.

However, shouldn't you have a camera onboard to be accurate?

Thank you for the video.

Yes of course, you should load it with whatever you plan to fly with. With the camera it would push the COG further down. I have since taken that gimbal off and I will be using my smaller crappy highsight mount so I'll check it again just to be sure!

Regards,

Gunter.

Jake Bullit

Fly,crash,glue,repeat!
Was that you Gunter?
Looked like a lumberjack was impersonating you;)

sent from my phone using my finger.

Gunter

Draganflyer X4
Was that you Gunter?
Looked like a lumberjack was impersonating you;)

sent from my phone using my finger.

Yeah, that's me in my lumberjack gear. I don't have a chainsaw, but will get one soon :)

Regards,

Gunter.

gadgetkeith

likes gadgets
why would you need a chainsaw

just stick 4 circular saw blades on ya quad and frisby it at the log you need to cut

keith