Fatshark BASE vs. DOMINATOR

helifotos

ZoomButt.gif

Someone with experience in these : Fatshark BASE vs. DOMINATOR ?

SwazO

Seen Dominators first time. They are all right. Purchased base SD and they came with a stuck pixel. All LCD's is possible for stuck pixel it's common. Mine came with pixel stuck almost center of right eye. Goggles seem to be over rated, but are nice portable solution rather than an awesome screen. Nothing compares to a regular screen in geek box but goggle choices are there. Don't believe the hype. I had a minor issue personally with service and request to exchange credit or refund but kept **** goggles due to not even wanting to hear jack about Fatsharks and others opinion. Gave them to my kid to play his video game system and he also thinks they are junk but uses them anyways for different perspective. To answer your question for a couple hundred bucks all those goggles on market are bout the same. Cinemizers are sweet but also have there drawbacks for Fpv. Many reviews but the only way to check them out is buy something and see for yourself, if money is not an issue great but if it is buy a nice screen and place in a box and you will be 1000 times happier than goggles. To me Fatsharks aRe overrated. I think best bang for the buck and service is Amazon EVG920 and get the sun shield.... They are little clearer and if you run into a problem with them service is alright with the Amazon. To answer your question I was told that Dominators and base SD are the same minus different optics. Take into consideration that you may get one pixel that is stuck that doesn't fall under replacement or exchange. My opinion Fatsharks suck. Good luck

Stacky

I have both. The base series gives me a more immersive feel but the Dominator give me a sharper view. I use the Dominator if Im trying to film something but if I just want to zoom around in fpv having fun the base edition gives me a more fun feeling.

It all depends on personal expectations. I have had my base edition for over a year and havent had any real issues for simple fpv flights. Im happy using both the dominator and base editions for now, they do what I need. I have a decent small screen ( 7 inches) but havent taught myself to FPV via that, I suspect I may need a bigger screen for this.

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
I have a set of the Base edition, a set of Dominators, and a set of the new Attitude. Main differences, the base must be cabled to external receiver they don't have a provision for a built in RX module, they do have adjustable interpupillary distance which is a must feature IMO, they are however the worst of the three for color and image clarity. The Dominators have much better color and clarity and also provision for a builtin vRX and head tracker, they DO NOT have adjustable IPD. I spent a good part of this season only being able to see one screen clearly and about half the other due to the narrow nonadjustable IPD of the Dominators. It was certainly nice to be untethered using either a 5.8 or 2.4 module in the Doms but the screens not being clearly in focus was a big minus for me. The Attitude has even better color and clarity to the displays than either of the older versions plus the abjustable IPD returns. The builtin vRX however is just that, builtin and not swappable, not a big deal if all you ever plan to fly with is the 5.8 frequency, I'll now have to setup a relay on 5.8 from a splitter to stay untethered when using 1.2 and 2.4 or go back to hooking up a cable to the ground station RX.

The vRX module in the Attitudes is far superior to the module that came with my Dominators, previously for the best signal on 5.8 out at the limits of the field I haad to cable the Doms to the ground station as the internal 5.8 RX module just didn't have the power to keep a solid signal even with a crosshair antenna on them. The Attitudes so far have proven to be solid all the way out to the range where I start getting radio failsafes on 2.4, a huge improvement over the Dominators, and with the adjustable IPD I can clearly see both screens again, the extra clarity and color balance of the Attitudes is a bonus.

As far as flying goes I find it much easier with the Attitudes, the immersion factor is the best of any set of goggles I've used so far. For me a monitor is not an option for serious FPV, to easy to get distracted and not watch the screen plus there's no way I could fly like this with confidence without the immersion factor of a good set of goggles... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrAcKOWWOFo

If you want the best that Fatshark has to offer right now, pay the few extra $$ and get the Attitudes they're better than either of the other versions.

Ken

Last edited by a moderator:

DesJardins

Oh Swazo please don't spread your goggles situation to other boards where people are not going to get an unbiased opinion with real use experience...

I like the image of the Dominators along with the new module help keep them up to par with the goggles that retain built in Receivers. The one thing some don't have such as the Dominators is adjustability like the Attitudes.

FatShark goggles are great and if you have any questions post up so users can help.
Also go here for some FatShark forum knowledge.

http://fpvlab.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?43-Fat-Shark-R-C-Vision-Systems

Enjoy

Aerovideo

I've had my Fat Shark Base goggles for probably 2 years now, they were a HUGE leap from flying from an LCD screen, at least for me anyway. I guess if I were toting around a 40" TV in the back of a van that would be fun :)

My Fat Sharks are getting a little old and the plastic lenses are getting a little marked up. I just purchased some Dominators as I've read they have the best picture, especially with glass lenses. So far I've been lucky and I can see the screens so the lack of adjustment is okay for me. I did a little testing swapping the goggles on my head both hooked up to my base station so I could compare. While the Base models did have a larger field of view the edges were a bit blurry and the whole picture not as sharp. The Dominators had a smaller image, like the screens were further away but they were nice and sharp edge to edge with better color/contrast.

Lastly, I wanted to try out the 5.8GHz system as it seems like it would make builds a lot easier with small antennas and my base station would then consist of just goggles. Hopefully it meets my expectations, I have yet to receive the VTx and VRx modules.

Just my 2 cents for what it's worth...

Paul

hexa

Seen Dominators first time. They are all right. Purchased base SD and they came with a stuck pixel. All LCD's is possible for stuck pixel it's common. Mine came with pixel stuck almost center of right eye. Goggles seem to be over rated, but are nice portable solution rather than an awesome screen. Nothing compares to a regular screen in geek box but goggle choices are there. Don't believe the hype. I had a minor issue personally with service and request to exchange credit or refund but kept **** goggles due to not even wanting to hear jack about Fatsharks and others opinion. Gave them to my kid to play his video game system and he also thinks they are junk but uses them anyways for different perspective. To answer your question for a couple hundred bucks all those goggles on market are bout the same. Cinemizers are sweet but also have there drawbacks for Fpv. Many reviews but the only way to check them out is buy something and see for yourself, if money is not an issue great but if it is buy a nice screen and place in a box and you will be 1000 times happier than goggles. To me Fatsharks aRe overrated. I think best bang for the buck and service is Amazon EVG920 and get the sun shield.... They are little clearer and if you run into a problem with them service is alright with the Amazon. To answer your question I was told that Dominators and base SD are the same minus different optics. Take into consideration that you may get one pixel that is stuck that doesn't fall under replacement or exchange. My opinion Fatsharks suck. Good luck

That's the best comment I have read on line about goggles. Same here I find the screen to be more clearer over goggles. I think they need to use retina display or better tiny screen in goggles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DesJardins

That's the best comment I have read on line about goggles. Same here I find the screen to be more clearer over goggles. I think they need to use retina display or better tiny screen in goggles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Really!?
Holy **** Fatshark was willing to work with Swazo but HE WASN'T so all that biased opinion is whack...

How much are you willing to spend?
Give the $800 Cinema's a try

Last edited by a moderator: