Failure to take off!!! f550 naza v2

censrd

Ok, first off i'm yet another noob to the world of rc drones. Albeit i have progressed my way from a couple heli's through to a twister quad, a blade mqx and an ardrone 2.0 with the thought being start small before going all out on a proper bird. Which brings me to here in search of some help.

So I recently got myself a f550 and a naza v2 using the 10" stock props and stock motors running a 5000mah 3s 25c battery, all being controlled via a futaba 14sg. After some initial teething issue in relation to the failure of not being able to use s-bus i have now connected and programmed via traditional method. And about a week ago I managed a very successful maiden flight. Just what i was looking for in a drone. But then i reach the stale mate in which i currently find myself and that is the bloody thing will simply not leave the ground anymore. Doesn't matter gps, atti or manual. The motors engage and buzz away but even at full throttle i don't get any lift. Being a slow week at work i had also purchased some landing gear and a couple 4s battery's. So i tried swapping over to the 4s battery's and the 8"props and have the same fault. I have tried compass cali multiple times, and also have adjusted gains as per the dji website. I even tried both the basic and advanced cali using the naza app.

I still can't take off, i even went back to the original config with the 10" props and the 3s still nothing. The led flashes appropriately indicating all is well and awaiting my command but apart from making lots of noise it won;t fly... What am i doing wrong. Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Steve

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
Calibrated on the assistant so all bars are green including throttle? Got throttle hold on? Throttle curve not linear? Blades on correct motors?

censrd

Thanks to both Benjamin and Yakjock. Yes it would appear a silly beginners mistake. For some reason i had it in my head that right side red leg spun right, but no after seeing the above comments i had a closer look and yes wrong props on wrong arms. But just my luck as i went out at night to test fly if that was in fact the problem. So i put some lights on her and she took off fine and dandy i flew a little to the left and then it basically turned horizontal and flew across the park and then smashed onto the road next to the park. Smashing 3 arms in the process. Whilst in GPS mode mind you?!!?!?!? Dammit. Back to square one. All of this after a decent first flight just a few days before...
http://youtu.be/USkSPcenD30 . also can anyone tell me if the flight characteristics that are quite obvious at about 1:48 the TBE that i'm seeing mentioned in other posts??? If so what do i have to do to recitify that.

Cheers
Steve

Last edited by a moderator:

Benjamin Kenobi

To rectify TBE, re-calibrate your GPS (do the dance!). It should be just fine then. Have you correctly input the measurements of the GPS antenna in the assistant software? Also important and easy to get wrong thanks to the odd +/- axis system thingy. Is the GPS pointing the right way? You will also need to offset for magnetic declination depending on where in the world you live. Thats where you turn the antenna just before mounting to account for the magnetic deviation of North in your area (the Earths magnetic field is a bit Wibbly Wobbly). And of course the old classic, is the propeller slipping on the motor?

censrd

Ok just when i thought i was getting a hold of this thing there is magnetic declination to consider... um ok looks like i got me some research to do...

Benjamin Kenobi

Sorry about that. In the UK magnetic declination is less than 2degrees so you can get away without it. I had to offset for the WKM and Zenmuse as the compass direction is linked to the pan axis of the Zen. Where in the world are you?

censrd

I'll give you a hint mate... G'day, come over and join me for a can over a bbq? lol In Melbourne, aus. I went into my rc shop today and the guy there suggested that it isn't a major issue as its calibrated for southern hemisphere anyway, but if i wanted to be ultra sure he said he normally tunes his to be at the 1o'clock mark. Kinda funny that he said not to worry but then he does himself... Thanks again for ur help and advice its good to know that its out there if needed. Got my replacment parts today so time to rebuild :)

http://youtu.be/USkSPcenD30 . also can anyone tell me if the flight characteristics that are quite obvious at about 1:48 the TBE that i'm seeing mentioned in other posts??? If so what do i have to do to recitify that.

Cheers
Steve

That is not the TBE. That is a hex descending in a it's own prop wash. Disturbed air if you will.
It's quite normal and the effect can be reduced by slowing the rate of decent.
TBE is an ever increasing circle to one direction or the other usually accompanied by a corresponding wobble.
It is compensated by slightly turning the GPS into the turn.
Clockwise rotation, turn the puck to the left. CCw rotation, turn the puck to the right.

censrd

Ahhh cool, thanks for that. I thought that might have been the case as I've noticed similar behavior with some other rc quads I've got. I guess i thought this unit would be less prone to those handling issues. Would better quality props help lessen that effect or is that just what happens no matter what unless u slow the rate of decent as you suggest.