FAA Sued, sUAS Registration Rule

I'm not an AMA member but I would think that their members feel somewhat betrayed that they are not defending them, after all it's a lobby organization.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
AMA says two things, they're looking into the legality of the rule and they're trying to streamline the registration for AMA members. i'm a member of the AMA and wish them well but I read that as they're trying to make the AMA a route to satisfy the registration requirement. which isn't really challenging it as much as they are trying to profit from it.

ProfEngr

Not to judge a book by its cover, but I got that impression from the Drone Radio interview with their reps.

Old Man

Perhaps a state of "don't rock the boat save the last lifeboat for us". However, the dues increase makes for a nice golden parachute.

I had heard from someone else that the "Old Guard" of the AMA wasnt really supportive of FPV which is closely tied to drones. I dont know if thats true or not. One thing I have seen with long standing clubs is when the times change and new things come out there is resistance to accept them with the older, long time members of that club. I saw it personally with the ham radio club that I am a member of which resulted in some ugly infighting with the older members. Although the ARRL (ham radios lobby group) is very supportive of the hobby as a whole. I'm not sure if its fair to criticize the AMA being that I'm not a member but usually lobby groups devotively support their cause regardless of membership.

Old Man

I am a member, about 30 years worth, and the AMA dropped the ball with Park Flyers, refused to condemn FPV, and still aren't really onboard with MR operations. Like all the others, they have not referenced user education of airspace and the rules governing same. This is something they had an opportunity to be quite proactive with all the way back to the advent of long range FPV. Their silence has been a statement in and of itself.

Av8Chuck

The AMA got in bed with the FAA a long time ago, at least they thought they did. They wanted their membership to have a carve out from the federal registration, now that they have to participate like the rest of us second class citizens they're complaining about it. I doubt they have the balls to challenge the FAA.

The fastest growing, actually the ONLY growing segment in RC is FPV racing. Go and try to do FPV racing at your local community based AMA field. The AMA has their collective heads buried so far up their a$$ they have restricted the one thing that would have provided them with the potential to grow. The AMA looking into the legality of the rule? How so? Development of the Registration rule did not go through the NPRM process and last time I checked Christmas didn't constitute an emergency.

Its also interesting that the FAA reported that over 181,000 drones have been registered as of the start of CES. That's interesting on a couple of levels. The AMA claims that they have approximately 180,000 members that they sent notices to their members telling them not to register. So that would indicate that apparently there are more people flying RC than are AMA members, or the AMA members ignored their suggestion to hold off registering.

Also what happened to the "emergency" because the FAA expected 1M drone to be sold last Christmas? And only 181,000 have registered? Were the majority of those drones sold under half a pound? This registration wasn't just for the drones purchased this year but all drones and the FAA is patting itself on the back because they think 181,000 is a high number.

Maybe, just maybe the threat that drones represent to public safety and privacy are a tad bit OVERBLOWN!? The numbers have never added up.

Av8Chuck

Don't get me started on how screwed up DJI is... One thing that drives me nuts is one of the guys heading up AirMap, that wonderful GEO fencing system DJI is using is the attorney we worked with on the NPRM. How does someone go from being an advocate for commercial drone use to creating that cluster f$#^