FAA gives DJI Phantom Green light for commercial flight

Well its in the title really...

http://www.suasnews.com/2015/01/33708/breaking-a-dji-phantom-just-received-a-333-exemption/

This is the statement lots of folks will be hoping to read one day.

The FAA’s Decision
In consideration of the foregoing, I find that a grant of exemption is in the public interest. Therefore, pursuant to the authority contained in 49 U.S.C. 106(f), 40113, and 44701, delegated to me by the Administrator, Mr. Douglas Trudeau, Realtor®, of Tierra Antigua Realty, is granted an exemption from 14 CFR 61.113(a) and (b), 91.7(a), 91.119(c), 91.121,91.151(a)(1), 91.405(a), 91.407(a)(1), 91.409(a)(1) and (2), and 91.417(a) and (b) to the extent necessary to allow petitioner to operate an unmanned aircraft systems (UAS) for the purpose of aerial videography/cinematography and augment real estate listing videos. This exemption is subject to the conditions and limitations listed below.

mediaguru

this part:

"he states that, while helpful, a pilot license will not ensure remote control piloting skills. He further indicates that the risks of operating a UAS are far less than the risk levels inherent in the commercial activities outlined in 14 CFR part 61, et seq., thus he requests an exemption from § 61.113 Private Pilot Privileges and Limitations: Pilot in command."

Str8 Up

Thee FAA does not have legal authority to grant relief for PPL requirement. I'm still amazed the didn't stick with CPL like ALPA insists they should.

I wonder if the realtor will actually report each time he has a fly away to the NTSB like he is required to?

ghaynes

Sounds good until you read the entire thing. Basically he has an exemption that if he meets all of the requirements he can fly over uninhabited land. They specifically do not allow him to fly over congested or densely populated areas (standard FAR altitude rules) which means forget about flying over a home in any type of development. Congrats on the exemption but .....

See item 30 which directly contradicts the exemption they granted for 91.119(c).