F550 with Maytech carbon fiber props

kompuntu

Hi everyone!
I have an F550 that i built using the DJI kit with E300 system. Using Naza-M V2 with GPS.
All is well. Decided to try these Maytech carbon fiber props for DJI (self-tightening hubs).
Did not balance them. Upon takeoff the hexa started drifting backwards. Pretty noticeably, too.
Just threw the props on the Dubro balancer. Only one was unbalanced (barely). The other 5 are ok.
Is that a normal behavior? Or are they too rigid for the not-so-rigid DJI arms?
When switched back to the original DJI props (also never even balanced) - all is well again.

Anyone using CF props on an F550? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Slava B.

P.S. Both prop sets are 9.4x4.3.

Tahoe Ed

Slava,

Very few have had luck with CF props on DJI craft. I would recommend that you use the 9443 or 9450 DJI props.

Really? Ive been running T-motor 14" Carbon's on my DJI F450 long arm custom for over a year. Flys perfect with 4014 400KV T-motors.

Last edited by a moderator:

kompuntu

I see.
Ok, thanks!
Question: is there any way i could use these props on, say, SunnySky motors? Do they make those threaded engine prop adapters in that size?
I got the counter-threaded spinners for SunnySky motors that i have (2216-11 900KV) so that the props become self-tightening. But the DJI ones appear to have a larger thread size.
Just don't want these props going to waste, you know...

Something like this perhaps: http://www.ebay.com/itm/x2pcs-M5-80-x-M8-1-25-x-8mm-SS-Thread-Adapter-Bushing-/201049240215

Last edited by a moderator:

kompuntu

Really? Ive been running T-motor 14" Carbon's on my DJI F450 long arm custom for over a year. Flys perfect with 4014 400KV T-motors.

Long arm custom? So you changed the arms? To what? I just ordered a bunch of those beautiful Aeroxcraft aluminum arms for F450/550. Not extended ones, same size as originals.
Do you think they'll help? Is it possible that the original arms twist and vibrate too much for such rigid props (CF)?

I guess i'll find out soon enough but wanted to ask the pros :)

I run the long Aimdroix alum arms, even better are the carbon Aerial Mob arms and you can adjust arm length to suit your needs. Stock plastic arms from DJI are mediocre at best, very twisty when running bigger motors/props.

Co_Rotor

I put some CF 1033 arms on my F550 this past weekend, with horrible results. It was barely flyable - if it didn't flip on takeoff, it would change elevation quickly all by itself. It was also really twitchy with pitch or roll inputs.

I didn't balance my props, so I'll try that next. The only thing I can think is that the vibrations were at just the right frequency to mess with the onboard gyros, throwing them into a fit. I put the plastic DJI 9443 props back on, and it flew like a dream.