F550 + Naza First flight

While waiting for two of my defective motors to be replaced under warranty (Thanks Robert @ DJI USA), I went ahead and picked up two spare motors and finally had a chance to get the F550 airborne today.

It feels more stable in flight compared to the F450. This was mainly a shake-down flight with a friend of mine watching on (he's looking to pick up an F550 as well).
Im starting to fabricate a dedicated landing gear and fixed camera (GoPro) mount for it this coming week and will post photos as soon as I have everything attached.

I might slap the GoPro on the top plate for right now and shoot some flight videos in the next day or so.

-Leon

I finally had some time this week to do some machining. I was able to cut some pieces of a landing gear design I had drawn up a few weeks ago.

Here are some photos of it attached to the F550. The interface plate is universal so that it can also attach the underside of the F450 frame as well.

The GoPro is hard mounted to the underside shelf on the landing gear.

I have since shortened the carbon fiber tubes on the bottom (from 24" down to 18") so they don't protrude into the GoPro's field of view.

Of course as soon as I had everything assembled, we get hit with rain and wind here in Socal, so I'll have to wait for another day to shoot some onboard video.

Cheers,
Leon

View attachment 3330View attachment 3331View attachment 3332

Attachments

• IMG_2793.jpg
    IMG_2793.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 270
  • IMG_2795.jpg
    IMG_2795.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 272
  • IMG_2796.jpg
    IMG_2796.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 225

hjls3

Gear looks nice Leon. Let us know how she flies. Whats the total weight with GoPro and gear? Looking forward to your flight video when the wind calms down. Wind currently going sideways in Colorado too.

Thank you hjls3,

The weight of the F550+GoPro+Lanfing Gear+2200mah 3S battery is 2123g. With a 3S 4000mah battery it is about 2280g.

I'm thinking its time to start thinking about 4s batteries. I'm using 10" props BTW.

Here is a quick short video of it flying earlier today when there was a break in the rain:

I have another short onboard video uploading to Vimeo at the moment - I'll post a link as soon as it's done processing.

Last edited by a moderator:

hjls3

watched your other video too. looked pretty windy! looks like the gear held up well and flew good with it. good job with the gear. you have spawned a few ideas for mine. thanks.