F550 motor upgrade options?

barnytj

At the moment my Naza F550 is running a mix of 3 dji 2212 and 3 dji 2215... I know not ideal, but I'm in Africa and next day delivery is just not an option and it's what I had available.

I am also carrying quite a weight, 3.4kg incl 2 x 3s 2200, and I'm at an altitude of 1750m.

I'm waiting for the Graupner 10x5 props ordered a month ago to arrive, but am currently on stock 10 x 4.5

I'm unsurprisingly not getting much endurance and so I want to upgrade to 4s batteries and ideally 6 new motors to give a bit more lift.

I have heard conflicting reports about whether the 2215 can cope with 4s, and in theory DJI don't want you to put 10" onto the 2212 with 4s.

Does anyone know of a motor upgrade that won't break the bank but would be relatively smooth and happy to lift that kind of load (3.4kg+) on 4s with Graupner 10x5s? .. and yes I will be looking for 6 rather than mixing further!!

Barny

mailman35

im between sunnysky 2814's and suppo 2814's im waiting for some parts to come in for the sunnysky's so that they can fly on my new f550. but the suppos have a nice amount of power on 4s.

jamienz

Hi Barney,

I came to the same issue with my F550 - ended up with Sunnysky 2216 motors all round from Foxtech FPV. Pretty happy with them so far, they work well with the Graupner props for sure.

The sunnyskys are supposed to be the same as the Tiger motors, and mine have certainly been VERY smooth. Cant complain at all

barnytj

im between sunnysky 2814's and suppo 2814's im waiting for some parts to come in for the sunnysky's so that they can fly on my new f550. but the suppos have a nice amount of power on 4s.

Thanks for the info.. but out of interest what sort of ATOW are you at? The Suppo 2814 motors I've found are in theory only rated up to 3S and up to 40A, which is over the stock DJI 30A esc. So I'm a bit worried about burning stuff out being heavily laden and at altitude.

barnytj

Hi Barney,

I came to the same issue with my F550 - ended up with Sunnysky 2216 motors all round from Foxtech FPV. Pretty happy with them so far, they work well with the Graupner props for sure.

The sunnyskys are supposed to be the same as the Tiger motors, and mine have certainly been VERY smooth. Cant complain at all

In theory the sunnysky 2216 motors are also only meant to run up to 3s.. Are the manufacturers just covering themselves or should a shorter lifespan be expected when running motors over their rated voltage? Have you heard of any reliability issues? (obviously not expecting to get same reliability as axi or plettenburg)

barnytj

Jamie, Apologies - you are right, I was looking at a 880Kv version on ebay.. How much weight are you happily lifting with yours?

jamienz

All up wight is about 3.5-3.7 KG. But I have tested it with more. Even on hotter days the motors just get warm (not burning hot like the DJI ones). Resolution is good with the Graupner props and she hovers around half throttle.

mailman35

i have just started the build up on my hexa frame with the sunnysky's but they are quite beefy motors.
waiting to see what they can do. and so far my suppo's are flying quite good at 4s. that quad might go back to a 3s quad if i move all my 4s to the hexa as even on 3s the suppo 2814's have alot more power then the stock 2212's