f550 locked in failsafe mode after Tx switch replacement

Here's the issue, which seems pretty bizarre. I recently replaced the three position Aux 2 switch on my DX8 Tx. This switch normally controlls IOC between disabled, course lock and home lock. I soldered the new switch in the aux 2 position and fired everything up to check the function. Everything checked out fine, but the topmost position on the switch turned out to be "home lock", but I wanted that to be the disabled position. Rather than resoldering the switch I simply opened the Tx again so I could rotate the switch 180 degrees so that the downward position was "disabled". I fired everything up again expecting it to be ok, but it wasn't. The copter is now locked in failsafe mode. It doesn't receive any input from the controller at all. It just sits there and flashes orange rapidly. I assumed it was a problem with the switch, so I soldered yet another switch in. Then I resoldered the switch, swapping the black and red leads (Orange is the center contact, the orientation of the black and red leads shouldn't matter at all, but I'm desperate). Still, nothing. I re-binded the controller. The receiver indicated the binding was successful. Still, nothing. The copter is still locked in failsafe mode, flashing orange and not receiving any signals from the Tx.

My f550 is currently a paperweight. Any help would be apprecaited.

Here's the error when I try to enable IOC via the NM app from bluetooth

Attachments

• IMG_6154.jpg
    IMG_6154.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 258

tstrike

pendejo grande
Hi Colin,
Welcome to MRF. How do you have your failsafe set up? Like on my dx8 I have it set up on a separate switch so no matter what flight mode I'm in I can flick the switch and go into failsafe.
I know the first few times after I'd set it up like that, I'd forget if the switch needed to be down or up and when I powered the copter up it would be in FS. Sorry this isn't much help but seems like it's something simple if all you did was replace a switch.
Any chance you can go into your radios servo menu screen and adjust your radio end points in you aux 2 switch?

Thanks for the welcome! And yes my failsafe is setup on the mix switch (top right back 2 position). "0" is normal and "1" is failsafe. I'm starting it up in the "0" position of course, but I know what you mean about forgetting about it. I've done that a time or two.

Your last question is beyond me. What do you mean by adjusting the radio end points? This seems like something for adjusting trim or something, but not applicable to a switch?

By the way, since it's in failsafe, when I hook it up to the computer there is NO response with the software. It will connect as indicated by the blue light on the software menu screen....but there is no response shown when I adjust anything on the Tx. It's just....stuck in failsafe and that seems to override everything.

tstrike

pendejo grande
We are talking naza right? So you have your 3 flight modes on your f mode switch-manual, atti, gps/atti. Turn on your dx, hit your scroll wheel and scroll down to servo set up, click it, scroll Travel-click it, Scroll-Throttle, click it, scroll to aux 2-click it, flip your aux 2 switch and see if it changes at all on the travel screen. If it doesn't, scroll your wheel until maybe you move out of failsafe.

Last edited by a moderator:

tstrike

pendejo grande
So you're not confused, the dx considers all switches to be servo's. This simple fact confused me to no end when I got my first big boy radio.

Yes we are talking Naza- V2. But to be clear I'm talking about my aux 2 switch on the Dx8 which sets the IOC to either Disable, Course Lock or Home Lock. My GPS/ATIT/Manual switch works fine....at least it did last time I tried. Thanks again for your response! I'll certainly try your suggestion tonight for my Aux 2 switch and see what happens!

The only other thing I can think of is a simultaneous failure of my failsafe switch, and that the contacts are stuck in the "failsafe" position. A simultaneous failure at the precise time I replaced my Aux 2 switch would be highly unlikely though.

P.S. I see- switches are servos. Thanks for clarifying!

tstrike

pendejo grande
Maybe because it's a new switch the end points haven't been set?

Last edited by a moderator:

Old Man

It might well be a switch recognition thing as mentioned by Tstrike. Doesn't make sense but in today's software environments anything's possible.

Hi guys, I checked the settings as instructed above....my Aux 2 switch cycles through all three switch positions without any issues on the Dx8 display. I'm still stumped.

I'm not sure what the failsafe zone actually should be? But the setup screen has 3 switch positions as you know....the failsafe position currently looks somewhere between the 2nd and 3rd position on the gear slider. This is where it goes when I move the Mix switch to position 1. I messed with the percentages as well as the subtrim. I moved them all over the place trying to get it out of failsafe with no luck. Still locked in failsafe.

Old Man

Go back and look at the switch to see if there's any solder traces that may be shorting out the switch. Perhaps obtain another switch in case the one you installed was defective out of the box. If none of that resolves it may be time to take some screen shots of all the settings in the Assistant for reference. Then reload the software into the FC from the Assistant and use the screen shots to set every thing up again.

tstrike

pendejo grande
I know this'll sound lame but the battery isn't drained is it? What Old Man said is probably your best bet.

haha yeah....that was my first thought- my battery must be below the failsafe threshhold. But no...it's all good. I'll try wiping the whole thing and starting over tonight. This is ridiculous. It's like changing your oil and then having a tire fall off. It seems completely unrelated.

Oh yes, and I actually did remove and test the switch, it's fine. But I did solder in another switch just in case. I also soldered in the old broken switch again....just out of curiosity. Nothing.

I thought maybe so..but I've run the binding procedure about 10 times the last several nights. I really thank you guys for your time and suggestions, but this isn't worth my time anymore. I've been trouble shooting for hours each night and I'm finished. Time to set it on the shelf or put it up for sale. Thanks again