F550 DJI2212 motor replacement

With less than one hour of flgiht time on my F550 I have had two motors fail and a third that is overheating. I am reluctant to order three replacement 2212's with my failure rate and several others documented on this and other forums. Any suggestions on replacement motors in the approximate price range of the 2212's that are reliable? I started out with the DJI 10" 1045 props but had two of them break in flight so went to the only other thing I had which was the DJI 8" 8045 but am now out of spare motors. Would like to try the 10" Graupner's but can't find them in stock anywhere and also need to know what adapters/washers or special nuts I would need for replacement motors to fit on the F550 and run the Graupner eprops.
Thank you for your help.

photobobga

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
I am now using some of the NTM motors, 2826 1000kv in a quad and 2830 900kv in a hex. Both motors are the short shaft version.

Bob:
Currently everything on my 550 is stock, motors, props etc. No camera, gear, or gimbals until I get past learning/destruction mode. Currently I am using a SKyLipo 3s 5000mah 40c 11.1v battery but have a 3s 6000mah 35c 14.8v on order.
PeeDee:
I've looked at the NTM motors but could never get a clear photo of the accessory pack. What props are you using and did you use the accessory pack to install them?

Thank you both for your response.

photobobga

Your situation is odd. Burning up three motors with a stock setup and recommended batteries within an hour of flight time.... Not sure what is going on with this. Replacing the motors is certainly an option but the stock DJI motors are above average... I would be concerned that any motor would have similar issues. You will find a plethora of information related to motor selection on a F550. But if you are looking and feel lucky these are some options.

Avroto M2814-11S
RcTiger Tiger MT2216-900kv
or Twister 450-880

When did you burn up the motors? during the 10" or 8" props? just curious.
First motor went with DJI 10" props and the upper bearing actually froze to the main shaft. The second also went with 10" props and would intermittently stutter and actually stop at times and the bearings appear to be OK. It failed that way in two locations. The third motor has gotten very warm in two different locations with 8" props and I won't really know as I had a major crash today and it will be awhile before I can get parts.
I spent a lot of time on a bunch of forums in the last two days and I found several instances where at least two of the six DJI motors failed with low time use. Those like my instance may or may not be intertwined with other undiagnosed failures but I am not willing at least at this point to hang expensive photo gear on it. I also had two of the 10" old style 1045 DJI props break in flight. I don't think I over tightened them but its hard for me to believe there isn't a torque specification for them. These were only crudely balanced on a homemade jig but have a balancer on order with the new style 1038 props in 8 and 10"

Hi there,

I'm thinking that a 5000 mah or 6000 mah could be a factor here. Although I fly most of my copters on 4S, I have found that the DJI motors don't have the power to carry anything more than a 3000 mah battery comfortably. I know that having a longer flight time is a good thing for all of us, but you have to remember that with a large battery like this, you would need a better motor to handle it comfortably - especially if you are using 10" props.

Cheers,
Richard

Richard:
Good point about the weight of the larger batteries but in my case I was at minimum total weight with no gear, no gimbal/camera or other gear. Eventually I would like to add it but not until I get the kinks worked out.

I chucked all of my DJI motors after less than 30 minutes of use - I now use Avroto which are way, way better and never looked back. If you find them a bit pricey, you can check out Tiger or Sunnysky - I can't remember the exact model but any of the big shops will have a list and the 2212 equivalents are not that much more than DJI.

;)

pear

Can I ask what the weight is? Also how long were the flight times?

Do the standard DJI motors need much balancing, not just the props?

Pear:
Sorry its partially disassembled now awaiting parts. Just basic unit with nothing on it but SkyLipo 5000mah 3s battery. I don't know about the motor balancing but would like not only know if they should be balanced but how.

Hi there,

I'm thinking that a 5000 mah or 6000 mah could be a factor here. Although I fly most of my copters on 4S, I have found that the DJI motors don't have the power to carry anything more than a 3000 mah battery comfortably. I know that having a longer flight time is a good thing for all of us, but you have to remember that with a large battery like this, you would need a better motor to handle it comfortably - especially if you are using 10" props.

Cheers,
Richard

Although I have switched from the stock DJI props for Graupner 10X5's, I have been flying 3S 8000mAH and 4S 8000mAH without any problems using the stock F550 motors.

coreyperez

I to have had excellent performance with all of my DJI gear, with hours and hours on my F550 hex, flying it with a Zen muse and numerous other fpv gear. Unless there was a bad batch, those with multiple failures have something wrong with their setup or their packages (motors) were exposed to something (salt water, etc) that has caused complications. As critical as I would like to be regarding DJI gear, I have nothing but great things to say.

As a side note, on my disco pro I had decent performance, but when I switched to the "recommended motors/esc" my performance tanked and i had step to 4s batteries. Now I'm back to what the stock DJI power plants, etc gave me. But don't get me started with the B.S. I've experienced with team black sheep (QC & CS).

Corey