F.A.Q. a foldable H-copter

quaddemon

Hi guys,
just want to share my interpretation of an H-copter: the Fold-A-Copter
In my scarce spare time I like to fly, but also to ride my bike... so the need of a transportable quad that could haul a Gopro or a small compact camera when you go riding, trekking, travelling and so on :tennis:
The prototype works so well with a Naza FC that a new version for a customer is already on the CNC table!

Please find more details here: [url]http://www.dronecam.net/index.html

[/URL]

Attachments

• DSC02117.jpg
    DSC02117.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 432
  • DSC02118.jpg
    DSC02118.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 348
  • DSC02120.jpg
    DSC02120.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 417
Last edited by a moderator:

quaddemon

Thank you guys, I'm glad you appreciate it. There are some nice folding quad around, but what I'm mostly proud of is the arm friction blocking idea: no screws to be lost in the grass or screwdriver forgiven at home, just open the arms and fly! The system has been tested at the bench with a 3kg weight

View attachment 7082

and at the field, with a less than perfect landing due to a low battery, the arm that hit the ground simply folded slightly with no damage to the frame, I just straighten it up and in a moment was in the air again... with a new battery of course! :tennis:

Attachments

• DSC01358.jpg
    DSC01358.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 288

quaddemon

As long as you get your CG correct it should be good to go.

That's right: the Naza don't know what's between the arms (x, H or Z!) and the motor mapping is as for an X quad.
In this configuration you have the camera in the front and the battery in the rear, this is well handled by the Naza even if the CG isn't exactly in the middle of the frame.

@ mailman35 : going to post you a quote, as soon as I recover the info about shipping to the States

Pierluigi

Pelted

going to post you a quote, as soon as I recover the info about shipping to the States

I really like the foldable design here. One thing though about the control board mounting... it would be nice to have mounting holes in the middle area for boards like the MultiWii, KK2 etc. Maybe a set 50mm apart. I could see using this design with something other than my taped down NAZA just for a smaller more portable quad.

quaddemon

I really like the foldable design here. One thing though about the control board mounting... it would be nice to have mounting holes in the middle area for boards like the MultiWii, KK2 etc. Maybe a set 50mm apart. I could see using this design with something other than my taped down NAZA just for a smaller more portable quad.

No problem at all! Just two minutes at the Cad... Another option, that I tested in my other projects, would be to provide in the package four expanded PVC m3 threaded eyelets to be glued in whichever location you prefer.
Cianoed in place I can assure you they will not fail... no matters how hard you land :friendly_wink:

quaddemon

Same concept in the just finished F.A.Q. I'm about to ship.
In this case a fiberglass eyelet is glued in place at camera plate location and M3 threaded

Attachments

• eyelet.jpg
    eyelet.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 336

quaddemon

Ok, the first one is out!:tennis:
Here is the parcel ready to be shipped... the whole package is compact too!:friendly_wink:

Attachments

• IMG_0831.JPG
    IMG_0831.JPG
    110.3 KB · Views: 232

quaddemon

Now that you've got one of these out, and plans to make and sell a few more frames?

Hi Pelted, yes, I've already contacted the CNC guy and provided materials for some more cuts both in fiberglass and lexan.
If you're interested, please PM me
icon7.png

Pierluigi

combatxe2

I'm The Guy in England, I will be posting on here how it all goes together in the next couple of days :nevreness:

quaddemon

Hi
finally the v.2 version is on the assembling line: lighter and slightly larger plates ready to mount the arms.
The plates assembled as you can see in the picture tipp the scale at 195 grams... hope to keep the bare frame below 350 grams :untroubled:

View attachment 8963

Attachments

• IMG_0882.JPG
    IMG_0882.JPG
    125.3 KB · Views: 372

quaddemon

A little update: a detail of the folding arm.
I've corrected some measurement to allow a perfect movement of the motor wires when the arm is retracted.
Now they hide nicely between the plates with no tendency to be tangled or kinked

Attachments

• IMG_1136.jpg
    IMG_1136.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 422