Explain opto esc

As I understand it they eliminate the vec all together and transmit the signals optically to eliminate noise. Is that correct. Are they always better? Are there certain situations you want to use them and when you don't? I'm building an av rig, would you suggest I use them?

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
Real opto means that the signal side (3-pin plug) is completely electrically separate from the power side (battery and motor). In fact, even the ground should not have continuity between the signal ground and battery ground. This is true optical isolation. It completely eliminates any and all conducted electrical noise from the power system. IMO, this should always be the preferred setup, and used whenever possible, with zero downsides. In this case, the power wire from the flight control to the ESC is absolutely mandatory, as the processor in the ESC is dead without it.

However, it must be known, that the great many "opto" ESC's for multirotors are fake. They are not truly Opto. The ESC circuitry is powered by the battery, and the ground has continuity straight through. The only thing they have done is eliminate the BEC circuitry.

There is very little benefit to these systems, save for the dubious advantage of not having to leave the red wire from the signal cable disconnected.

Which brand/ model are to be known true opto esc?

Also which components are powered by the smaller secondary battery? Is it everything besides the esc and motors? What size should the secondary battery be?

Last edited by a moderator:

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
I don't know of any multirotor ESC's that are truly opto. The only ones I know for sure are large (typically 100+ Amps) helicopter and airplane ESC's.

The KDE ESC's might be, but I'm not sure.

There isn't necessarily a secondary battery. You can use the primary battery to power all the avionics, you just have to do it with a separate power supply (UBEC, Power Module, whatever).