Expect More Confrontation in 2015

Old Man

This is not good. The FAA is making standing regulations that do not pass through the mandatory regulatory review process. The NTSB is not the final arbitrator in the federal CFR's and this is at least the second CFR addition relating to small unmanned aerial vehicle use in the last 3 months. Also of note is the broad definition of "contrivance". A Frisbee is now a regulated vehicle under the scope of the "law". I foresee a serious appellate court case on the horizon addressing federal department over reach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

scotth

"The agency recognizes though that State and local Law Enforcement Agencies (LEA) are often in the best position to deter, detect, immediately investigate, and, as appropriate, pursue enforcement actions to stop unauthorized or unsafe UAS operations."

You just can't make this **** up.

Old Man

With no associated definition of safe, unsafe, careless, or reckless. The FAA provided LEA's carte blanche for arresting, charging, confiscating, and fining anyone flying anything, anywhere and any time. This will also prompt some cities to write new model aviation laws that will be used to benefit city coffers. The way it's written a modeler will be forced to prove their innocence without having a legal foundation defining right and wrong.

dark_star

Wow. Depressing. This is a shrewd, very effective, iron fist way to crack down on use of sUAS.

I've asked this simple question a few times and have still not seen a satisfactory answer:

Please show me the FAR which prohibits commercial use of sUAS?

Ironically, my past experience with police and the machines has always been positive. For years, before drone was a widely used or known term- they were fascinated and mostly loved the things and watching us use them. I once had an unmarked car pull up while we were working on a shipping dock pier (working for the port authority) and at first it scared the crap out of me because of the abrupt way he drove up to us but it turns out he was the head of security for the port and wanted to talk about how they might use drones to patrol certain parts of their property. Great guy and a new friend who looked on all of it very favorably. Just did a job in New England last month before Christmas and the cops were with us as part of production and were the most interested and impressed folks on the set. They loved it and asked lots of good questions. Great guys. Most are nice and interested I found. In California it was harder because they are so savvy to production and the FSO's and FSA's knew that commercial use was frowned upon. Could still do it, though, with the right people.

But now, with this kind of memo, if it gets widely disseminated and they start to give us a hard time it's going to really complicate things.

Extremely well played by the FAA.