Estes Proto X

Just picked one up for just over 30 bucks. Thing is pretty impressive. Total blast to buzz around.

Kinda silly question but is this thing anything like flying a 450 or a 550?

What's similar? What's different?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
a couple of the guys had them at our last RC club meeting and they were whizzing them around as the rest of us were filing in. they seemed to fly pretty well for what they are and how little they cost to buy.

i'd say they fly like an F450 but somewhere between manual and Atti, more like Atti where the flight control is assisting with keeping the heli upright and level when you release the sticks.

where did you find it for $30? i might have to get one for my travel bag!

Bart, the thing is so fun. Kinda like a cockroach with 4 props.

I bought from a seller on amazon.

I think I'm more scared for the future and where this tech is going, but nonetheless, it's fascinating.

Let me know how you like it once it's in your hands.

Oh, and it's nearly indestructible. Alien technology for sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jbrumberg

I got one in a trade of some "RC" stuff. They are quick little guys and I believe that they are 6 axis stabilized. It reminds me of my late Micro QBot. My biggest complaints are the tiny little Tx (the Estes Tx can be replaced with the Nano Tx which is better, but still the same size), the chintzy charger, and the built in lipo battery which can be replaced. The props are really small, brittle, tend to fly off, and are hard to find once they fly off. The brushed motors do burn out. Do I like mine- yes definitely, but it is a novelty. Nice to put in the travel bag and they are fun to fly.

stevemaller

Heavy Lifter
I like mine even more now that I'm using the TX from my little Hubsan X4. It pairs perfectly and automatically, and it dramatically improves the range compared to that awful little tx that comes with it. It's an amazing little thing!!

jondrew

I bought 2 of these to "practice" indoors because I get so little time I can fly my Phantom 2. All I can say is, if you can fly theses little stinkers the bigger multis with GPS and whatnot are a snap to fly (maybe not indoors though). They are also very rugged, although I think I may have crashed one of them one too many times and it just keeps flipping on its back and spinning around like a dying cockroach.

jbrumberg

Check which way it flips and check the motor and prop on the "weak" side. It could be a bad motor, a damaged prop, or hopefully something binding up the prop and/or motor shaft like a piece of lint or hair or the prop being pressed down too tightly down on the motor shaft and pressing down on the motor housing bracket. Mine does the same thing. It is a bad motor on mine. Mine has other issues as well, but I got mine used. These are brushed motors. I have read a few posts complaining about brushed motors on nano sized quads.

Steve is right about the improvements with the Hubsan Tx.

Last edited by a moderator:

jondrew

Check which way it flips and check the motor and prop on the "weak" side. It could be a bad motor, a damaged prop, or hopefully something binding up the prop and/or motor shaft like a piece of lint or hair or the prop being pressed down too tightly down on the motor shaft and pressing down on the motor housing bracket. Mine does the same thing. It is a bad motor on mine. Mine has other issues as well, but I got mine used. These are brushed motors. I have read a few posts complaining about brushed motors on nano sized quads.

Right on. I did find some hair or fiber wound around the motor shaft recently. Don't think that's the problem this time, but I may have pressed one of the props on too deep and that could be a source of binding.

By by the way, these things are the greatest cat annoyers since the hand held laser

jbrumberg

Right on. I did find some hair or fiber wound around the motor shaft recently. Don't think that's the problem this time, but I may have pressed one of the props on too deep and that could be a source of binding.

By by the way, these things are the greatest cat annoyers since the hand held laser

Anything RC of any size; (actually I think maybe nano size is the worst) :mask: terrorizes my St Bernard :hororr:. Anything "weird" canine-wise will upset her, and she remembers too; better than an elephant or a llama or a wife.:strawberry: She stopped drinking water out of her water pail after a temporary charging station set up set up next to her bucket " (cooling fan) hummed" at her. :hororr:. I think she walks down to a spring to get water or eats snow. I have not seen her drinking water out of that bucket since.

jondrew

Thanks, it it was a bad prop. Swapped out one of the spares and it works fine. Unfortunately, I don't see spares for sale. Most websites I checked said late February to March. Hope the ones I have last. I did just order the Hubsan on Amazon, plus several arts of props.

jbrumberg

Nail polish kind of helps with the cracks in the props, but then you have to balance the prop on a horizontal pin. Nail polish gets lighter as it dries BTW.

OdinValk

I had the same issue with my little bug wanting to flip end over end... figured out that you HAVE to have the correct prop on the correct arm.. A-A B-B etc.. strange.. but this thing being my first quad.. is amazing fun