ESC's - Has anyone ever mixed the set - let me explain

jhardway

So I have a situation when I was starting up my copter the other day I noticed one of the motors took a little longer to get going then the others, little longer is like a second, or less, and when they all initiated the one motor I noticed looked like it was out of synch for the small amount of time until it seem to lock in and spun and flew with out an issue from there. The motor start problem was consistent in each time I started the motors from a complete stop, I then swapped the esc with another on the copter and the problem followed the ESC.

So since I was able to identified the issue seems to be with the esc I now want to take it out of the loop. When I went to look for the esc they do not make that one anymore. The esc is a Maytech opti 40a, but I have a few Maytech opti 45a's hanging around that I ended up putting on my other copter.

In theory I believe if I took the opti 45a and put it in the place of the 40a configure it I should not have an issue because of the power curve is programmed to the throttle of my controller.

I just have not done that before nor heard of anyone doing so. I would be interested to hear from others that may have done this, or know more about esc's then me.

Best all Jack

coreyperez

I "personally" wouldn't mix ESCs, its too important that they are balanced, etc. I don't KNOW if there would be an issue, but I've always purchased numerous spares, just to avoid having to worry about it. Once I get down to needing another (and it not available), I just move on to the latest and greatest.

Case in point. I purchased, (many moons ago), some 20 amp Afro ESCs from HK. When I re-ordered new ESCs because I burnt through all my spares, I ended up ordering 30amp. When I realized it, I trashed the remaining 20's and moved onto 30a.

Corey

jhardway

Kory

thanks for the thoughts, I may try it down the road but I am going to make that on a shell of a copter to say, but for the time I decided to go the root you were mentioning, where I purchased a whole new set of the Tiger t35A 600mhz, which leads me right into my next post.

cheers Jack

I "personally" wouldn't mix ESCs, its too important that they are balanced, etc. I don't KNOW if there would be an issue, but I've always purchased numerous spares, just to avoid having to worry about it. Once I get down to needing another (and it not available), I just move on to the latest and greatest.

Case in point. I purchased, (many moons ago), some 20 amp Afro ESCs from HK. When I re-ordered new ESCs because I burnt through all my spares, I ended up ordering 30amp. When I realized it, I trashed the remaining 20's and moved onto 30a.

Corey

gmahan3

Here is an issue in have with newly installed ESC 's. M1 M3 and M5 are new ESC but they are the exact same model from AMP. I've patched the ESC from M2 to M1 and M1 then spins up just like the others running right.

What's going on here ?

I am pretty new at soldering. I don't think that's the issue but I wanted to throw that our there.

Last edited by a moderator:

gmahan3

For sake of troubleshooting I'll walk through the process I use.

I disconnect all the servo leads from the WKM FC. I take the RX sbus lead going into X2 and plug it into throttle channel on the FC. I take the 4-1 harness and plug it into the throttle port on the Futaba R6208SB take ESCs for motors 1-3 and plug them in the speed cable.

Set my TX throttle end point to -120% throttle all the way up, turn on the MR wait for beeps to subside pull throttle all the way down. Turn off MR. Set throttle end point back to normal.

Repeat process for motors 4-6.

http://witespyquad.gostorego.com/spe...ion-cable.html