ESC overloaded?

scoopdreams

Hi everyone, new to this forum. Just built a DJI F450 ARTF frame yesterday and took it for maiden test flight today. Was going fine, until on the 4th battery - throttled up and it suddenly went up very fast, and then as it hit about 40~50 feet, it crashed to the ground.

Specs:
F450 frame
Naza V2 with GPS
DJI Opto 30 ESC x 4
DJI 2212/920 motor x 4
DJI 1038 props
Voltron 3S 2200mAH Li-Po

Load: 1 x GoPro Hero 2

Came back, started it up, and both the tail-end motors are not responding (one not turning, another turns in halting motions). Swapped parts around, and it appears both ESCs might be fried. Board connections and motors are fine.

Question is, are the props matched for the motors and ESC? Could it be that the current draw was too strong and that's what fried the ESCs? Could it be something else apart from the ESC? If it is indeed the mismatch of props + motors, what could be a good mix?

On the first battery I tried using the 8045 without the GoPro load, and it went fine. It couldn't lift with the GoPro though, so I swapped out for the 1038 props on the second and subsequent batteries.

Thanks in advance for any help! First post and the F450 is my second quad after the T380, so really curious to know what went wrong and to avoid future problems.

Bugilt

How long did you allow the esc and motors to cool between batteries? The 10" props are what you want to run with 3s. 4s you want to drop down to the 8".

scoopdreams

Hi Bugilt,

Am I supposed to let the ESC and motors cool between batteries? Nope just swapped and fly straight in a 34C ambient temperature environment. That might be why the ESC fried up perhaps?

Regards,

Bugilt

Yes, you want to let the ESCs and the motors cool down between batteries. Your ESCs should be mounted under the prop wash. If you have a 450 with stock motors and ESCs. You pretty much have to mount them in the right spot.