ESC high frequency fear uncertainty and doubt

vinnygogo seems to be correct about CC throttle calibration with NAZA or WKM. I put my transmitter (Dx7S) throttle travel back to 100%/100% and re-calibrated my NAZA unit using DJI software assistant. It starts and flys perfect.

Thanks for the compliment Dewster! I don't have anything to frame the shots. I use intervalometers and set the camera to fire off a picture every 2 to 4 seconds. Back at home I download, sort and delete hoping for the best. It has been the most challenging photography I have ever done but is also oh-so fun and rewarding. Amazing how different things look with a little elevation!

seagee

Supergravy,
Once again, thanks for the helpful discussion. Think I'll go for the 35A CCs.
Cheers, Colin

vinnygogo

hello supergravy tnx for the test, confirms the theory. 1 question left. what engines do you use, en wat are all your exact settings in teh castle tool?

Here are a few short videos showing how the different speed controllers are working with the NAZA unit to start the motors. None of this probably matters much but it is raining and I have been bored...

DJI 30a Opto on F450 - the "standard" I am used to - works fine but motors sometimes need to sort out direction

DYS 30A with SimonK firmware - these make me pucker at startup when using an expensive camera. But no problems in over 100 packs and they fly great!

Castle Creations Phoenix 25 with firmware 4.01 - these start like a commercial ventilation system. I love it!

You can see how well the simonk flashed speed controllers work when hovering down low in the prop wash. The castle controllers work identically but my quad was about 800 grams underweight in this video, I should have mounted a camera to bring to normal flying weight.

Last edited by a moderator:

seagee

On 2nd and 3rd videos apart from ESCs and payload, is everything else equal? Interesting brief startup noise on the CC Pheonix 25s: is this their signature sound?
Your evidential comparison is very useful in showing differences. Good work!

Here are a few short videos showing how the different speed controllers are working with the NAZA unit to start the motors. None of this probably matters much but it is raining and I have been bored...

DJI 30a Opto on F450 - the "standard" I am used to - works fine but motors sometimes need to sort out direction

DYS 30A with SimonK firmware - these make me pucker at startup when using an expensive camera. But no problems in over 100 packs and they fly great!

Castle Creations Phoenix 25 with firmware 4.01 - these start like a commercial ventilation system. I love it!

You can see how well the simonk flashed speed controllers work when hovering down low in the prop wash. The castle controllers work identically but my quad was about 800 grams underweight in this video, I should have mounted a camera to bring to normal flying weight.

There a few subtle differences in the multirotors in the 2nd and 3rd videos but aside from the ESC's all of the other electronics are the same. That is Avroto 2814 motors, NAZA controller with DJI BEC, Spektrum AR6210 receiver. All mounted to Rusty's UAP1 frame. The differences are:

Video 2 Craft - lighter weight and lower profile gear/gimbal, aluminum arms, APC SF10x4.7 props, 620mm MTM distance, usual camera mounted
Video 3 Craft - heavier and taller, CF arms and APC SF11x4.7 props, 680mm MTM distance, missing normal camera and intervalometer for video

I dunno if the CC startup sound is their signature or even typical. In the USB setup you are given some choices that I am guessing impact things. Primarily "startup power" (I chose low over the default of medium) and motor timing (went low again). My goal is cool and reliable operation as the Avrotos have plenty of power for my setup(s). Perhaps a lower power startup creates some pwm whine and this is what I am hearing? Regardless, the results are pleasing to me.

seagee

CC Phoenix 25A ESC

In looking for these I notice that two different labels exist for the 25A CC Phoenix ESCs

View attachment 4613View attachment 4614
Both appear to have the same specs on the label. Are these internally identical - apart from the label & possibly older firmware, is there any difference between the two?

Thanks,

Colin

Attachments

• CC1.jpg
    CC1.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 292
  • CC2.jpg
    CC2.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 251