ESC and Motors - Exceeding Maximums - Close Calls

questech

Hello Everyone :)

I had a quick scare while testing my new octo build and I wanted to run it by you for your feedback.

I was testing the octo for the first time with all of the props attached and I was doing a run-up. Everything seemed to be fine until I ran through my amp/watt monitor and was shocked.

First let me say that I'm running a set of SimonK flashed 30 amp ESCs and 8 NTM Prop Drive Series 35-36A 910Kv / 350W motors from HobbyKing.

The ESC has a burst rate of 40 amps I believe and the motor has a max wattage of 350 watts.

OK, back to the run-up and why I was shocked...

When I looked at my monitor I noticed that my maximum amperage was 50 amps and my maximum wattage was 500 watts. I was affraid that the 12" props were a bit much and I exceeded my limits and may have damaged my ESCs or motors for that matter.

No here is the part where I came to my senses a bit and thought this through a bit.

First of all, I thought I did my due diligence by testing individual motors with 3 different size props; 10x4.5 SF Props, Carbon Fiber Propellers 11X4.7, and 12x4.5 SF Props.

* The 10X4.5 props gave me a maximum wattage of 225 watts and max amperage of 19.2 amps

* The 11X4.7 props gave me a maximum wattage of 230 watts and max amperage of 21.1 amps

* The 12X4.5 props gave me a maximum wattage of 267 watts and max amperage of 23.6 amps

With that in mind I loaded the octo with the 12" props because they are plastic, cheap, durable, and I have spares. I felt confident that I couldn't exceed the specs for the ESCs or the motors.

So after my run-up I was shocked and feared that I had caused damage to my new gear :-(

After giving it some thought though I realized that my run-up readings were from the main power bus and that it was the total for all 8 motors.

Wow was I relieved... I think.

What say you?

Thanks in advance for the feedback!!

Anthony