Engineering Project

EliteUAV

Hi everyone ,

Here's the story .....

I'm currently building a quadcopter for my Engineering Final Year Projects...
That choice came to me after watching this video :
Raffaello D'Andrea: The astounding athletic power of quadcopters (16 min 9 sec)
<iframe style="width: 480px" height="385" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/w2itwFJCgFQ?rel=0&wmode=transparent" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

<tbody>
</tbody>

The quadcopter I'm planning to build will surely not perform such acrobacy , but I planning to have so interesting features ..

The Feature I'm planning to add to my quadcopter are :
1) GPS Waypoint
2)obstacle Avoidance
3) Video Transmission
4) Load Transportation (less 1kg )
5) Fail safe

I know it will not be an easy work , but I have about 7 months to do that .

I have recently done some litterature review on the topic recently , but there are no concrete documentation on the subject .

My first plan was to use a Pixhawk which would be connected to an arduino (uno) . There would be sensor connected to the arduino and when the sensor would detect and object , they would send a signal to the arduino . Then the arduino would control the Pixhawk accordingly. But after sharing this idea with some folks on the forum , it seem that it would be an enormous thing to do.

Then I had the idea of using an APM 2.6 , which allow the connection of sonar . But using the option will not allow me to tweak the source code , like an arduino. Because for my project , I have to show some level of programming .

Now I'm block, I don't know what to do ?

Therefore , I'm seeking for your help peeps. Please suggest me a solution ... I'm completely lost ..

If you need some more information don't hesitate to PM me or comment ..

Waiting for your reply ...

gtranquilla

RadioActive
I faced the same challenge back in my final year of Engineering in 1975.
Except for the obstacle avoidance, all the other features are all the shelf solutions that you can purchase.
Even so the project will take you about 3 to 5 times as long as you might expect!
That is the nature of technology whether it is at the hobby level or the engineering level.
More info by PM.

Hi everyone ,

Here's the story .....

<iframe style="width: 480px" height="385" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/w2itwFJCgFQ?rel=0&wmode=transparent" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

<tbody>
</tbody>

The quadcopter I'm planning to build will surely not perform such acrobacy , but I planning to have so interesting features ..

1) GPS Waypoint
2)obstacle Avoidance
3) Video Transmission
5) Fail safe

I have recently done some litterature review on the topic recently , but there are no concrete documentation on the subject .

My first plan was to use a Pixhawk which would be connected to an arduino (uno) . There would be sensor connected to the arduino and when the sensor would detect and object , they would send a signal to the arduino . Then the arduino would control the Pixhawk accordingly. But after sharing this idea with some folks on the forum , it seem that it would be an enormous thing to do.

Then I had the idea of using an APM 2.6 , which allow the connection of sonar . But using the option will not allow me to tweak the source code , like an arduino. Because for my project , I have to show some level of programming .

Therefore , I'm seeking for your help peeps. Please suggest me a solution ... I'm completely lost ..

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
I'm curious why you say that this would be difficult for either a Pixhawk or APM2.6 to do? In particular, you say you could not tweak the source code like an Arduino. You most certainly can.

I'm actually working on a project along the same lines as you're looking to do. However, it will all be run internally to the Pixhawk, there is no need for an external processor. I'm using a Lidar, and the Pixhawk reads it directly. From there, modifications inside the code will decide what to do.

Hi everyone ,

Here's the story .....

<tbody>
</tbody>

1) GPS Waypoint
2)obstacle Avoidance
3) Video Transmission
5) Fail safe

gtranquilla

RadioActive
R_Lefebre,

Your last couple of postings helped me to see that what was once difficult is quickly becoming easier.