Durability vs. Part Costs

AH-1G

Rob
F=MA - physics as the enemy
Mid plate.JPG

arm.JPG

Kit manufactures need to be aware of costs vs. crash suitability. Making the arms of a multirotor indestructible, may put other parts at risk. On this point, I experienced a crash with my XHover 300 where it came straight down on the left rear arm breaking the middle body plate. The plate costs $70 to replace. I would have preferred to replace a broken arm at $10. I'd have to break seven arms to equal the middle plate!

If the arms are part of the plate make it thicker than the others. If the arms are bolted between two plates, break an arm, not two plates.

Of course, the smaller the a/c the less the mass, the less mass, the less the force in a crash - to the point that those tiny micros are almost unbreakable. Large hexs and octos seem to explode on the smallest of crashes. Been there too!

Manufacturers, test crash your products to the point of figuring out how to break the least expensive part.

Here's photos of the parts in question.

Attachments

• Mid plate.JPG
    Mid plate.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 924
  • arm.JPG
    arm.JPG
    57.8 KB · Views: 718
  • Mid plate.JPG
    Mid plate.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 227

I had the same experience with a Tarot 680. I kept breaking landing skids, they were very thin walled CF. I replaced them with some heavy walled CF and thought I was pretty smart. I had a semi hard landing and it allowed the energy to be transferred up into the body breaking the bottom plate. It was a major job to replace it. I happily went back to the thin walled stuff.

AH-1G

Rob
F=MA - physics as the enemyView attachment 27340

View attachment 27343

Kit manufactures need to be aware of costs vs. crash suitability. Making the arms of a multirotor indestructible, may put other parts at risk. On this point, I experienced a crash with my XHover 300 where it came straight down on the left rear arm breaking the middle body plate. The plate costs $70 to replace. I would have preferred to replace a broken arm at $10. I'd have to break seven arms to equal the middle plate!

If the arms are part of the plate make it thicker than the others. If the arms are bolted between two plates, break an arm, not two plates.

Of course, the smaller the a/c the less the mass, the less mass, the less the force in a crash - to the point that those tiny micros are almost unbreakable. Large hexs and octos seem to explode on the smallest of crashes. Been there too!

Manufacturers, test crash your products to the point of figuring out how to break the least expensive part.

Here's photos of the parts in question.
I had the same experience with a Tarot 680. I kept breaking landing skids, they were very thin walled CF. I replaced them with some heavy walled CF and thought I was pretty smart. I had a semi hard landing and it allowed the energy to be transferred up into the body breaking the bottom plate. It was a major job to replace it. I happily went back to the thin walled stuff.

I've busted a couple of those on my 680 Pro too, plus both retracts at the servo and one motor arm when I launched FPV and flew up into a tree branch!