Drones in Haunted Zones

Dan Baines

1st post alert!

I've just started a new series on my blog where my son and I head to derelict and mysterious places and document them with images and film using drones. This amazing technology allows us to get a new perspective on these neglected places without endangering ourselves or disturbing the environment.

We've only been flying for 3 months, this footage was taken using a Bebop 1 & Skycontroller.

http://www.danbaines.com/blog/g0xo17jk35xhacsbq5rcp39gp3x24z/12/3/2016

Enjoy!

Dan Baines

www.danbaines.com

Petr Hejl

Staff Member
@Dan Baines , thank you for sharing that, I actually started a little "abandoned place" series myself, these places are great for a little drone adventure. So far I have an abandoned asylum for criminally insane here in Norwich CT, and a ship boneyard in Arthur Kill, Staten Island. I can't release the hospital video just yet (per agreement with the developer who was the primary client here), but will have it out soon. The ship boneyard is going out tonight, I'll post a link here:) The Bebop footage seems pretty stable, how do you like the SkyController?

Dan Baines

Hi Petr, I listened to that episode of the podcast which prompted me to post the link and join the forum, I've been listening to every episode back to back in the studio, excellent stuff! I'm also attempting legal access to an asylum before it gets converted into new apartments so I'll post how I get on.

I do like the Skycontroller although I also use my game console analogue controllers which seems just a responsive but without the range. Since the Parrot firmware update a few weeks ago I can see definite improvements with the drone and controller as a whole. I must say though, I'm seriously considering the Xiro, we get lots of wind in the UK and the Parrot is a fare weather flyer only so I need something with more stability.

Keep up the excellent work!

Petr Hejl

Staff Member
Hi Petr, I listened to that episode of the podcast which prompted me to post the link and join the forum, I've been listening to every episode back to back in the studio, excellent stuff! I'm also attempting legal access to an asylum before it gets converted into new apartments so I'll post how I get on.

I do like the Skycontroller although I also use my game console analogue controllers which seems just a responsive but without the range. Since the Parrot firmware update a few weeks ago I can see definite improvements with the drone and controller as a whole. I must say though, I'm seriously considering the Xiro, we get lots of wind in the UK and the Parrot is a fare weather flyer only so I need something with more stability.

Keep up the excellent work!
Thank you Dan, I got into the asylum by trading the footage with the developer considering investing into the property, maybe you can locate them and ask (just an idea). Here is the ship graveyard video I was talking about, finally finished it yesterday, color grading took forever:)

Dan Baines

That's amazing! Hopefully my wife will take the hints and get me a Phantom or Xiro for my birthday next month! I'll let you know how I get on with the asylum proposal!