Drones for Dummies?

Has anyone done a list or recomendations for what you need to put a reasonable drone together?
Im new to drones but ok on RC, som Im happy to have a go at assembling my own, I also have reasonable workshop facilities.

Any help on frames, motors, electronics or other items Im missing would a great help.
From a noobs POV Im seeing....a frame, motors x4, props & adaptors x4,ESC's x4 and a control board. GPS and anything else more exotic Im still too new to have an opinion on for now.

I dont need huge airlift capacity, but would like reasonable flight times, is 5 mins asking a lot?
I look the look of the HAL frame from HobbyKing, but will defer to the experts on that.

I even considered just replacing the Parrot internals with off the shelf items, but dont know if that possible or even worth it.

Thanks
BIll N

FlyGirl

Has anyone done a list or recomendations for what you need to put a reasonable drone together?
Im new to drones but ok on RC, som Im happy to have a go at assembling my own, I also have reasonable workshop facilities.

Any help on frames, motors, electronics or other items Im missing would a great help.
From a noobs POV Im seeing....a frame, motors x4, props & adaptors x4,ESC's x4 and a control board. GPS and anything else more exotic Im still too new to have an opinion on for now.

I dont need huge airlift capacity, but would like reasonable flight times, is 5 mins asking a lot?
I look the look of the HAL frame from HobbyKing, but will defer to the experts on that.

I even considered just replacing the Parrot internals with off the shelf items, but dont know if that possible or even worth it.

Thanks
BIll N

Hi Bill.... Make it easy on yourself and get a DJI 450 Flame Wheel kit (comes with frame, props, motors, and ESCs $190) and a DJI NAZA-M Lite with GPS ($209) and other than a battery you are done buying stuff. Can't get more dumbed down than that :) I get 6 and a half minutes on my 4s (cell) 14.8v 3600 mAh battery and around 12 minutes with my 4s 14.8v 5000 mAh batteries.

Cheers FG

Been on HK most of the evening and have a much better idea of what I want now.
And at pretty good prices too.

Worked out most of the main items, just the bits & pieces now, male servo leads, connectors etc.
Just have to decide on which board, do need GPS? Im guessing that just throwing $100 at one isnt a guarantee of the best result.
Best motor rating on a 450 frame? Over-rate the ESC's for efficiency? Separate stabiliser unit?