Drone and rescue chopper nearly collide as drone crashes mount

15crewdawg

Looks like a lot of speculation at this point since there is no identification of what was in the air or who was flying it. It very well could just be the pilot made abrupt maneuvers to avoid "something" and assumed it was a MR or RC plane of some kind.
Or it could have been some moron with a Phantom trying to see how high it would go. (Most likely scenario)

Either way it's bad press for the RC and MR community as a whole. And you can bet that the "press" will continue to print and air "reports" like this more and more.
Hence the "Drone Crashes Mount" part. A blatant attempt to instill fear in the public, and portray MR's as dangerous.

jbrumberg

Incredible! Obviously a brain-dead moron on the sticks.

The fact that the pilot reacted to an assumption that it was some type of RC aircraft reflects the power of the media in promoting the idea that these things are already flying around everywhere and often being flown by complete idiots and the reality that these things have physical mass and are capable of bringing down any sized aircraft.

JoeBob

Elevation via Flatulation
Full size helicopter pilots are motivated to report any drone they see as a hazard.
We are taking business from them.

15crewdawg

Except that this was a rescue (Medi-flight?) heli. So not much chance MR's will take his job. Kinda difficult to lift a stranded hiker off a mountain with an MR.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
This is not an issue of taking work from each other. It's simple common sense that a seemingly large percentage of our species lack. If you have ever been in a helicopter and saw a flock of birds you would know the feeling these guys might have felt seeing a UAV next to them. It's a lot easier to do stupid things when your own life isnt in the air.

15crewdawg

This is not an issue of taking work from each other. It's simple common sense that a seemingly large percentage of our species lack.
It's sad how true that is.

If you have ever been in a helicopter and saw a flock of birds you would know the feeling these guys might have felt seeing a UAV next to them. It's a lot easier to do stupid things when your own life isnt in the air.
It's because the deterrent of self-preservation isn't there. The heli pilot is going to react to anything he sees in the general vicinity (recognised or not). Anything within a mile is considered a near miss.

Flying any RC craft at 1000' is just reckless and dangerous behavior if the flight wasn't pre-cleared and the airspace isn't under total control. Even with FPV your SA (situational awareness) is severely limited. You have no way of knowing what is around you.

But what actually transpired is all speculation at this point anyway.

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
Seriously I don't think it is that big a deal, some airline just lost a whole plane full of people and has no idea where it is, this is just trivial nonsense by comparison and I have no idea why anyone would care, in the US in last year there were over 5,000 hand gun deaths, a near miss with a toy is just trivial.

cootertwo

But it's a toy "DRONE" da-da- dom-dom. I'm thinking now, maybe it's the "quiet" part. I mean they ain't silent, but are quiet enough to be considered "sneaky".

Old Man

There have been several collisions between "drones" and full scale aircraft both on the ground and in the air. In those events the fault was usually with the full scale aircraft for being in a place they were not authorized to be, but where the drone was authorized to be. There have also been a couple of incidents were a poorly performing "drone" impacted a full scale aircraft, but without risk to people in the full scale. In all the above the operating environment was legally open to both full scale and "drone" aircraft during authorized missions. Because of the locations none of these incidents have been publicized.

The greater danger is with the public's use of high end or hobby unmanned/RC equipment. Most often uninformed and untrained, generally thinking they can do whatever they want to, and without considering anything at all they blast off to see how high and how far they can go. There will be those that argue against that premise but a quick search of YouTube will turn up hundreds of proof examples. The vendor selling this type of equipment should be held responsible for assuring that each customer receives information detailing regulations and owner responsibilities. Since a very large percentage of this equipment is not being sold through a "face to face" hobby shop experience there is a great need to establish and information distribution plan that will ultimately protect our hobby and activities from ourselves.

coreyperez

Seriously I don't think it is that big a deal, some airline just lost a whole plane full of people and has no idea where it is, this is just trivial nonsense by comparison and I have no idea why anyone would care, in the US in last year there were over 5,000 hand gun deaths, a near miss with a toy is just trivial.

So hand gun deaths huh? How many people die in Car accidents? Care to report on that?

As a helicopter pilot, yes we do watch out for stuff in the air. People in the air take precedence over anything else in the air.

**Edit: As a matter of fact I had a near miss with a helium balloon a couple weeks ago... EVERYTHING in the air is a threat to an aircraft. No matter how big or small. Bigger tends to be a more "absolute" instance.

Corey

Last edited by a moderator:

sixshooterstang

Bird's Eyes Aerial Media
I am calling fake. The website this story is on seems to be a yellow propagandist news source. Therefore not credible.