Aeronavics / Droidworx Droidworx Zenmuse Adapter Plate?

cbpagent72

I bought a Zenmuse adapter plate to use with my new Zenmuse Z15 GH3 gimbal and for the life of me I cannot figure out how to mount the Zenmuse to the plate. I have looked online at the Droidworx site and there is not any instructions. It appears that it too small to attach properly and that there may be additional parts needed. Has anyone installed a Zenmuse on their SkyJib and would be able to share the install tips and/or photos of the install? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Dave

View attachment 14074View attachment 14075View attachment 14076

Attachments

• _1010030.jpg
    _1010030.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 347
  • _1010032.jpg
    _1010032.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 457
  • _1010034.jpg
    _1010034.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 436

Quinton

Hi Dave

Hope you get sorted, I am also looking at the GH3 , as it is just out this week. (Hate the lens though)
Am looking at keeping it under 7KGs with the GH3, but will also look at buying the 5D, Can you give me an overall weight for this setup.

A bit disappointed by the replies from the members that know what they are doing, they don't exactly share too much information, considering they are a wealth of information..
We are new to this thing and spending 1000s of pounds/dollars, so please share as much info as you can to try and help us, it won't hurt.
Have learnt so much lately and would be more than happy to help others.

ZAxis

Just had a quick look at the DJI web site and used their ZenMuse manuals for both the original GH2 and the new GH3 versions. The way they are hung to their support rails has changed .... DJI inconsistency again .. so the Droidworx plate you have will fit the old version but not the new.
I hope Droidworx have picked up on this already and have a solution in the works, soon I hope as I'm heading in the same direction as you.

andy

cbpagent72

Hi Dave

Hope you get sorted, I am also looking at the GH3 , as it is just out this week. (Hate the lens though)
Am looking at keeping it under 7KGs with the GH3, but will also look at buying the 5D, Can you give me an overall weight for this setup.

A bit disappointed by the replies from the members that know what they are doing, they don't exactly share too much information, considering they are a wealth of information..
We are new to this thing and spending 1000s of pounds/dollars, so please share as much info as you can to try and help us, it won't hurt.

I have noticed that as well, most of the experienced pilots like to keep the information to themselves with the exception of a select few like "Droider", "ChrisViperM", and "Bartman." They have provided me with lots of great feedback.

As far as the GH3 goes, I love the camera and the video is amazing. I also considered the 5D MkIII but a friend at work had the 5D MKIII told me to go with the GH3. It was a good suggestion, we did some video comparisons and still comparisons and in the video realm the GH3 looked better and in the still realm the 5D MKIII looked better but not much better. It surely didn't look $2500 better. I want more flight time so the GH3 was a no brainer, lighter body and much lighter lens. I bought the GH3 with the 12-35mm F2.8 lens and while it is superb the lens is way to big to even try to make it work with the Zenmuse. I didn't like the silver color of the Olympus 12mm F2.0 lens so I bought the limited edition black (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Olympus-Lim...8&qid=1381615653&sr=8-2&keywords=olympus+12mm ) and it looks great and shoots great photos plus it comes with a metal lens hood, metal lens cap and a really nice Olympus filter. I was amazed how tiny that lens was, you will love it. The Zenmuse gimbal appears to be high quality with the aluminum machined parts. I don't have a total weight for you because I am still lagging behind you on my SkyJib build. I haven't finished it yet, I have had tons of work stuff come up lately.

Dave

cbpagent72

Just had a quick look at the DJI web site and used their ZenMuse manuals for both the original GH2 and the new GH3 versions. The way they are hung to their support rails has changed .... DJI inconsistency again .. so the Droidworx plate you have will fit the old version but not the new.
I hope Droidworx have picked up on this already and have a solution in the works, soon I hope as I'm heading in the same direction as you.

andy

Thanks for the info Andy, another $62.00 down the drain. I am hoping that the Droidworx staff monitors this forum, I would love to get this thing up in the air sometime soon.

cbpagent72

After messing around with the GH3 Zenmuse parts I think I have found a way to make the bracket fit. I will report back with photos if I am successful.

rotorvista

Hi Dave

you will be way over 7kg, with the gh3 and zenmuse over 8kg

cbpagent72

Attachments

• _1010035.jpg
    _1010035.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 412
  • _1010038.jpg
    _1010038.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 429
  • _1010043.jpg
    _1010043.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 403
  • _1010044.jpg
    _1010044.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 398
  • _1010047.jpg
    _1010047.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 414

Quinton

you will be way over 7kg, with the gh3 and zenmuse over 8kg

You are right I have just weighed.

4432grams without lipos
6190 grams in total including 2 x 6200mAh lipos at 879g each.

1900 grams for zenmuse and gh3/lens

So 8.1kgs fully loaded.

Quinton

Well I managed to make the Zenmuse fit after some messing around with the orientation of the Zenmuse four brackets. It doesn't look like it is made to fit that way but it looks like it will work fine. The little Zenmuse controller won't fit inside the mount on top of the Zenmuse but I have a few other places that i can put it so no big deal.

Good to know you made it fit.
I'm sure you already know but make sure you don't power that up without the camera and lens on it.

I would get the GH3 Zenmuse, but that single lens option is really putting me off (£200 extra for a black len option..ouch).
I already own a 5D MK3 a C100 and a GH2 so spending another £1400 on the GH3 and lens is making me think twice.
Just hope the Skyjib 6 is capable of flying the extra weight of the 5D

Wonder if DJI has considered the weight of a filter on the lens in their balancing.

Last edited by a moderator:

cbpagent72

I am pretty sure the skyJib 6 can carry A full size SLR. That is what the droidworx site states that it can handle. I guess it also comes down to your motor size as well. Have you flown your new Skyjib yet?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

Quinton

I am pretty sure the skyJib 6 can carry A full size SLR. That is what the droidworx site states that it can handle. I guess it also comes down to your motor size as well. Have you flown your new Skyjib yet?

Haven't put it fully together yet, I ordered some liquid tape for the connections, and some 3m dual lock after the recommendations here, which hopefully should be here today/tomorrow.
Also getting the QR (quick release) setup coming next week so I can make it foldable easily.
Was playing with the new upadte for the 14sg last night which I believe you have, which includes voice warning, it doesn't work right yet but its pretty cool anyhow, Im sure they will get it fixed soon.

rotorvista

that was quick my gh3 zen just arrived and yes the plate won't fit i don't fancy fitting it like cbp has so i've emailed his pic to droidworx and have asked if they'll be making a gh3 zen plate to fit their landing rail, if not or they take too long i'll get one made up myself.

i guess i could take the top plates off my nex zen to make it fit but i'm going to have to sell that on so can't really do that, shame

Last edited by a moderator:

rotorvista

Haven't put it fully together yet, I ordered some liquid tape for the connections, and some 3m dual lock after the recommendations here, which hopefully should be here today/tomorrow.
Also getting the QR (quick release) setup coming next week so I can make it foldable easily.
Was playing with the new upadte for the 14sg last night which I believe you have, which includes voice warning, it doesn't work right yet but its pretty cool anyhow, Im sure they will get it fixed soon.

Quinton if you're going to use the QR system you will have to completely disassemble your jib and start again as the QRsystem comes with 2 new centre plates which are grooved for the QR bolts http://droidworx.co.nz/products/sho...us-versions-craft/skyjib-v1v2/upgrade-skyjib/

Quinton

Quinton if you're going to use the QR system you will have to completely disassemble your jib and start again as the QRsystem comes with 2 new centre plates which are grooved for the QR bolts http://droidworx.co.nz/products/sho...us-versions-craft/skyjib-v1v2/upgrade-skyjib/

Sorry was away to the motorhome show today and just catching up :)
Thanks for the heads up, am a bit p*ssed that I ordered my Skyjib a couple of weeks before the QR was launched, but ..it happens.

cbpagent72

From what I heard if you bought your SkyJib 6 within 3 months you can upgrade to the new version for the price difference from the Ti version. With the Skyjib Super 6 it is not only the center plates and QR it is also the 550mm boom and crashcage.

rotorvista

Yes I got that email but I think I'll be sticking with my set up as it is now maybe if I have a bad crash I might do the upgrade in the future.

cbpagent72

Yes I got that email but I think I'll be sticking with my set up as it is now maybe if I have a bad crash I might do the upgrade in the future.

The price difference isn't that great considering what the upgraded parts are going for at retail pricing. I wish I had the offer so I could get some spare parts for cheap..lol.