Droidworx WKM Builds - Power Distribution

eyeball

Hi Geoff,

Damm...you've sussed me!
Yes she seems to fly pretty well now....and I have you to thank for that mate. Just a shame the video of it flying was taken when it was carrying that silly gell battery, she looked much better when she flew with the Av200/360/ Canon 50D strapped on and Matt steering the the bottom half. Quite weird watching the whole undercarriage rotate whilst your flying around as I tend to use the bottom half for referance.
Had a good idea last night...you know those heater pads you had in that transmit...well, im going to use one of those in one of the flying cases that Ian picked up for us. Im going to put it in the battery compartment to keep the batteries warm on those cold flying days. Good idea eh?!

robvree

Here is my solution.

Frame: Droidworx AD-4 HL
Distribution Board: Multiwii VoltAir (60A continuos - 72A burst for 15 seconds)
ESCs: Maytech 30A (V1) - Soldered directly to distribution board
Motors: Avroto M2814-11S

View attachment 2329

Attachments

• WP_001469.jpg
    WP_001469.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 279

robvree

As for ESCs and heat, I don't anticipate any problems at all, RC planes, helis, and cars don't have their ESCs out in the wind, I see no reason the ESCs on a multi need to be either. As long as they're wrapped in heatshrink tubing they're going to dissipate heat at the same rate whether they're under the dome or tied to an arm. In any case I've flown setups like this in 90 degree weather and while the electronics do get warm I've never had a problem with them getting over temp. As long as everything is spec'd correctly and nothing is drawing excessive amps there shouldn't be any problem with the ESCs mounted where I have them.

Just FYI - I made a ton of progress last night with my build and I did go ahead and install all the ESC's inside the frame (in between top and bottom plates). Just to be safe, I installed the Spektrum telemetry temp sensor on one of the ESC's that will probably get the least amount of air flow so I can keep an eye on it.

Now all I'm waiting on to complete the build is a roll of fabric heat shrink, clear heat shrink for the boom LEDs and some CF plates to create a stack for the DJI IMU and GPS. Hopefully I'll get those in the mail before the weekend becaus the forecast is 70 degrees and sunny.